Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

WARN "Top of the line Winch" Made in China"..WTF!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARN "Top of the line Winch" Made in China"..WTF!

Have been lookin for winch for awhile. Searched and found that northridge 4x4,
a project-jk sponsor, got in a shipment recently. Got in a 9.5ti,...from them. Had my brother do the install. He got it all wired up and asked for the remote control.
I go to the box and pull it out . What do I see a sticker "MADE IN CHINA". I am thinking WTF, I searched the forum and thought for close to a grand I wouldn't be getting some cheap piece of crap from China. Then he finishes the install and I see this gap in the top metal parts of the winch that secures the electronics...I say" What did you do..tweak the thing"...he says no..you are the one that is a cheap bastard that bought Chinese shit., its f*cked up because it cheap Chinese
crap.

Well I have been to China 25 times and I know from visiting factories their products are in general "cheap crap". So knowing this I spent a grand to buy USA...and what did I get ...more cheap Chinese crap!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew the Tabor line Warn has out is china crap. Didn't know about the top stuff.
What is sad is you could have gotten a Ramsey 8500 that is made in the USA for 399.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM
JK Freak

Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 AM
JK Jedi

I remember a thread about this a while ago. Seems to me that I remember a lot of the winches had certain parts from china or they were partially assembled there. Will have to do a search, my mind is slipping these days!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 AM
JK Jedi

Found it, no wonder I was confused!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=made+china
Old 10-04-2007, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would not concern myself where Warn makes its products. Its customer service is legendary in the the 4x4 world. So long as they stand behind it and take care of the customer why does it matter where it is made?

I own 3 Warn winches. A new 9500 PowerPlant on my JK, a Xd9000i on my F250 I bought about 10 years ago, and a 20+ year old 8274. I've contacted Warn in the past asking about purchasing a part for the 8274 that wore out after years of use and guess what they did..........shipped it to me no charge. It did not ask for it for free, but they sent it just the same. Warn is the only winch I will ever buy.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're very uninformed to make rash generalizations that all Chinese stuff is crap.

The chinese make plenty of good stuff, including your warn winch. If you want made in the USA..go for Ramsey, but just because it was made in China doesn't automatically make it incapable of pulling your ass out of a mudhole.

Hell, even Ramsey probably has some chinese components..but it is assembled in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oldschool23 I feel your pain as well. I received my Powerplant last night and to my surprise the first thing I noticed was the made in China sticker on the remote. I personally try to buy American whenever I can. Unfortunately it is damn near IMPOSSILBE. Grin and bare it and keep up the fight. BUY AMERICAN.....when you can.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Just an FYI.. I've been there.. Its an awesome facitlity here in Oregon... They cut all there own gears and drums.. All the serious hard parts they manufacture.. Maybe certain pieces are produced overseas but what isint.. Come-on seriously... Look at Harley Davidson.. All amerian machine... Ya right.. I am in the motorcycle industry.. Non of it is made in the USA.. Oopps I take that back.. The dunlop tires are made here..

Manufacturing:
Within the U.S., WARN operates over 400,000 square feet in two Oregon manufacturing facilities and a technical facility in Livonia, Michigan. WARN holds certifications for ISO 9001: 2000, ISO/TS 16949:2002 and the environmental ISO 14001. The WARN Saltillo Mexico production facility is over 25,000 square foot and is operated through a maquiladora program with The Offshore Group.

http://www.warnindustries.com/corporate/about_us.shtml

Last edited by Robar; 10-04-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Edited non sponsor link.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

The remote was made in china not the winch.

Quick Reply: WARN "Top of the line Winch" Made in China"..WTF!