Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do you remove the side marker/turn signal?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove the side marker/turn signal?

Surely someone must know how to do this? I crawled under there, and there seems to be a tab, which I pulled loose, but nothing really happened, it didn't even loosen slightly. So, if anyone knows how to do this, let me know!

Thanks

Edit: By the way, I'm not talking about taking the light bulb for the side marker out. I want to remove the orange piece from my fender.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.dirty

Ahhhh... the Waxing hammer...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Eternal ***erator

Remove the bulb/ wire plug first, there is a plastic rivet that holds the inner and outer fender together at the leading edge, just below the marker light... you need to pop out the center of the rivet with a small probe/nail/allen wrench or the like (you REALLY have to push on it to get it out) hang on to that little ribbed plastic rivet center, you'll need it to put the rivet back in place, then remove the rivet body. after that the inner part can be flexed in and down to pop the tab that holds it to the outer portion loose. after that i think there was two tabs that held the light lens in place i think you had to squeeze those & then finaggle it out.

I did this when i put on the RR little useless guards. It sounds complicated, but it took about 5 minutes to do per side, hardest part was getting that damn rivet to pop out.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
yeah dont drill them out lol it doesnt work to good

*L* yeah, hitting a tree popped one of mine loose, i wouldnt recommend that either.

If you go here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13117_200.htm

you can grab the PDF instructions to put those guards on i spoke of, it does a pretty good job of describing the process.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Man, you guys are fast! Thanks Happy, I'm going out to play with it now. If I get stuck, I'll use Dr's method. lol
Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Eternal ***erator

Ok, good luck.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

What a pain in the a$$! I was supposed to use the allen wrench on the center of that little plastic rivet from the outside of the fender right? And push it inwards. Well no matter how hard I pushed, it wouldn't pop it through. I ended up pushing it from the backside (inside the fender) and popping the whole rivet out. Worked fine like that. Then the marker itself was a pain to get free. Geez! There was an awful lot of dirt, etc up there, so maybe that made the task harder, but in general it was a pain for such a small thing.

Thanks for the help! I did almost resort to Dr's method when it wasn't coming out. lol
Old 05-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Eternal ***erator

Yup, that thing is really in there aint it? I really pushed on it myself, mine did pop free though. Glad we could help, hope you got it all done.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Yup, all set. Although somehow I managed to kill one of the bulbs and had to replace it.

Question though, and boy is it a stupid one. The side markers aren't turn signals? I had always assumed they flashed when the turn signal was on, mine don't and only come on when the head lights are on. I'm assuming this is correct and I'm just a dope who thought they were turn signals?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Eternal ***erator

Yes, they are just marker lights, there is however a thread in the electronics forum on how to turn them into blinkers as well. Marker Light Mod

I havent done it myself yet, but its on my to do list. I was told to thoroughly read the thread through though, as apparently some of the info was off a little at first.

Quick Reply: How do you remove the side marker/turn signal?