Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

NEED HELP!!! jeep shuts off while driving

Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!!! jeep shuts off while driving

Okay, so I haven't been a member long but I've been on the forums for a while and never post, but I need your guys help. I have an 07 rubicon unlimited 6 speed with 60k on it. 4" lift 35" tires, adjustable front lower arms. I've had the jeep for about 7 months now, and it randomly turned off while driving about a month and a half ago for the first time. I heard a ding, saw my break light come on, and the jeep was off. When I tried to turn it back on, it didn't click or anything. I continuously tried and every now and then id get really fast clicking and it wouldn't turn over. Eventually it started back up, and was ok for the following month. The past couple weeks the jeep turns off almost everytime I drive it. It does the usual not clicking, or when it does it's a really fast random click, and won't start. I've got it to start by undoing the negative terminal on the battery, and it almost always starts up after that. The other day, in the mcdonalds drive thru, it turned off, I disconnected the battery, it started, ran shitty, turned off. Cranked it back forward and it turned on and I hurried out of the drive thru to a parking spot where it kept dinging with the break light coming on and trying to turn off. It was sputtering and eventually turned off. I noticed my break lights blinking when it was "dead", all my accessories worked, but the door locks didn't. Also, my windshield wipers were on, and were kind of moving and stopping like it had really low voltage or something, my heat was going from high to low to high and when I turned the key completely off, my heat stayed pumping for about 30 seconds. I've also had my wipers randomly stop working the past couple
Months. I've had the esp and abs lights on since I got the jeep, they go on and off when they please. I have the Evo manual swaybar disconnect and have the oem harness for the swaybar motor bagged taped and sealed (only mentioning it because I had weird problems when I got the swaybar motor wet and have read it screws with a lot of shit) sorry for the ramble, but I've had so much weird shit happening I'm trying to give you guys all the info I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-22-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Crazy behavior like that can be a symptom of low voltage.
Low voltage can be caused by any combination of an aging battery, bad ground connections, and a bad alternator.

If you have the original battery, it's probably on it's way out.
There are quite a few ground connections to check for being clean and tight. Make sure the positive lead in the TIPM (fuse box) is tight.
The alternator is easy to check with a volt meter, but it will shut off it it thinks the battery is disconnected.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-22-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure if it's the original battery, I have another one charging that I plan to throw in to see if that's it. I really appreciate the quick response. I've checked a couple of the grounds and will try the battery later today.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd check the fuse box like mentioned above and then replace the battery if that didn't work. Sounds like ur not getting enough juice
Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Just ran outside, positive wire to the fuse box was pretty solid, I still got a small turn on it to really crank it down. Grounds look ok as far as I can tell. I forgot to mention earlier when I went to start the jeep for the first time today, it didn't click or turn over or anything which doesn't usually happen, disconnected the negative and put it back and it started right up. I just didn't know if it was a crappy battery why it would start right up no problem after disconnecting it.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan2405
Just ran outside, positive wire to the fuse box was pretty solid, I still got a small turn on it to really crank it down. Grounds look ok as far as I can tell. I forgot to mention earlier when I went to start the jeep for the first time today, it didn't click or turn over or anything which doesn't usually happen, disconnected the negative and put it back and it started right up. I just didn't know if it was a crappy battery why it would start right up no problem after disconnecting it.
When you had the battery negative wire off, did you clean the clamp and the post? Might want to do that on both the positive and negative. If they are even slightly corroded, they may work briefly after being reconnected without cleaning.
Also, you can't tell much about the grounds without taking them off, cleaning them to make sure they all have good metal-to-metal comtact, and tightening them up.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

I did scuff and clean the terminals the other day, that was one of the first
Things I did. The battery has no corroding or oxidizing it looks almost new, but like I said I don't know how longs it's been in there. I'll give the grounds a scuffing and whatnot tomorrow. I've tried thinking of all the things it could be but the few
Things I'm stumped on is things like when I disconnect and reconnect the battery it starts right up and things like the brake light coming on when it turns off.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Someone once told me to disconnect ur cables and hold + and - together for 15-20 sec to reset the computer then reconnect. I dunno. Worth a try. While u have it disconnected, take ur battery to an auto part store and have them test ur alternator and battery. Like others stated, I think it's ur battery too. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:43 AM
JK Newbie

I had this problem. It turned out to be a bad grade under wire. It was a pita trying to find it. Once changed I had no more issues.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:50 AM
JK Newbie

Alright guys I'll give everything you've mentioned a shot, appreciate the help so far

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!!! jeep shuts off while driving