Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

air matress in back of unlimited JK

Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air or Foam? Not sure yet.

I spend about 20 nights a year sleeping in mine. I have an inflatable twin air matress and it works okay. I am going to buy a foam one and cut it to fit and see how that does. I will keep you posted when i get to this. Keep in mind that you need to fill in the hole where the seats flip forward to make it more comfortable. I am 5'9 and seem to fit pretty good when i move the seats up. Well it works and is cheaper than hotels.
Kedge
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kedge
I spend about 20 nights a year sleeping in mine. I have an inflatable twin air matress and it works okay. I am going to buy a foam one and cut it to fit and see how that does. I will keep you posted when i get to this. Keep in mind that you need to fill in the hole where the seats flip forward to make it more comfortable. I am 5'9 and seem to fit pretty good when i move the seats up. Well it works and is cheaper than hotels.
Kedge
Where do you park at to sleep in your Jeep, that was the only issue I had one night travelling between locatins.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 AM
JK Newbie

You should check out truck bed air mattresses. Not sure of the dimensions on a 4 dr, but it's worth checking them out. There are a couple of styles, but I think the T shaped one would work best.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a foam pad I cut into shape to fit around the console. It's nice. These are old pictures, but show what I do.

I'm 6'2" and can stretch out reasonably well. With the two of us it can be a little tight.

What we did next was buy an air mattress and didn't inflate it all the way, our weight filled in all the gaps the foam pad couldn't and with the foam pad below, it was even more comfortable.

I recently slept in the back while in Moab because my army trailer was just too cold to sleep in when it snowed. hahah

Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm thinking of doing this for a camping trip in July. It will just be me. I need to keep it CHEAP. I like the foam idea.

What kind of foam could I get to cut into shape that wouldn't be very expensive?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny this thread popped up. We are going to a friend's camping/shooting/drinking party this weekend. My girl was like, why do we need to take the tent, let's just sleep in the jeep. we have a queen air mattress, but I'm guessing that won't fit now after reading your posts. I'll swing by and look for that memory foam.

(taking my tent just in case)

Quick Reply: air matress in back of unlimited JK