Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Yeti,Grizzly coolers etc...

Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yeti,Grizzly coolers etc...

Hey guy's,used the search engine and couldn't find anything about really good coolers for camping. I am sick of buying ice every day while camping. A friend has a Yeti and says it's awesome.He said it actually refroze some things he had inside. Just looking for some other thoughts and reviews if anyone has one of these expensive coolers. Looking at a Yeti 65 at Bass Pro here in Ontario,it's going for $400 plus tax. The Grizzly is $390 and is a little larger from the outside dimensions,even though its 60qts. I think,and comes in different colours. Also, obviously has to fit in the back of the Wrangler. Thoughts and experiences?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just saw a Pelican 65Qrt from Gander Mountain for 329.99.Better price,is it still good quality?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't go wrong with a yeti. You get what you pay for and a yeti is one of those things. I know a guy that's truck was on fire for 6+ hours while he was away from it, melting everything including the yeti. He opened it up with a crowbar and it was still half filled with ice and the mountains were still blue on his Coors lights.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

if you're sick of buying ice....get an electric....you can always add a 2nd battery and/or solar panel to keep the battery charged.
you'd be AMAZED at how much more you can get in a cooler when you don't have ice taking up room in the cooler.

Ive got an edgestar (friend has one in his quigley van too)....mine hasn't been turned off in over 3 years (except to clean it, after a beer froze & spilled).
Ive got the 64 qt and it'll hold over 100 cans. it can freeze down to -5.

Ive got a little extra room where mines mounted so its on some slides.

the cooler runs on 12vdc or 110vac

Last edited by bushpilot; 03-15-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good point. Bass pro has a Base Camp up here for 850 for 63 qt.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Grizzly 40 in the back of my JKU all the time. I work at Grizzly Coolers and can get you pics of any size in a JKU if you want to see them.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Waskie
I have a Grizzly 40 in the back of my JKU all the time. I work at Grizzly Coolers and can get you pics of any size in a JKU if you want to see them.
Cool. Thanks. How about the orange 60qrt.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

850 and you STILL gotta buy ICE !?!?!

I didn't spend that for my duel voltage 63 qt electric !

EdgeStar 63 Qt. 12V DC Portable Fridge/Freezer - FP630
Old 03-15-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an ARB and it works great. Runs all night with no problems starting up in the morning.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKZinger
I have an ARB and it works great. Runs all night with no problems starting up in the morning.
it depends on the cooler & the size of the cooler as much as the ambient temperature.
if you were really paranoid (and no one else was around to give you a jump start) - you could add a 2nd battery or a solar panel.

it all comes down to how much you want to spend...theres another cooler company out there that makes electric ones that drawl very very little current...but theyre 3x or more what i paid for my edgestar / engle.

my advice - stay away from the koolatrons, voyagers, road pros, igloo, etc electrics...they use thermo-electrics and run ALL the time.
get a proper unit w/ a freon based system....it'll run less, drawl less current & cool faster.

Portable Refrigeration - 4xforum.com

5 Things You Need to Know About Portable 12v Fridge/Freezers - Adventure Parents

Quick Reply: Yeti,Grizzly coolers etc...