Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

smoking a whole deer

Old 07-10-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default smoking a whole deer

A friend of mine built a wicked smoker out of stainless, and we have been bouncing around the idea of smoking a whole deer. Because they are so lean, it's not going to be as easy as put a rub on it and toss it on the smoker. If any of you have done this SUCCESSFULLY, please post up what you did and how you kept the meat from drying out. I've consider draping bacon over the meat, but i'm concerned that the bacon will get most of the smoke, and that may take over the flavor of the meat.

Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and I tried smoking just some deer roast. Did not come out very good. The meat was dry. The problem with smoking deer is that this is no juicy fat in the meat. About the only thing I found on deer that is worth smoking is the back strap. That's easy to wrap in bacon to keep the meat moist.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cold smoke it. Use trays if ice and less burning embers. Check temp and dont let it get above 85F better if its lower, somewhere around 70-75F, but not much lower than 70F. Takes longer but will smoke it without drying the meat out. Same thing is done with salmon.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

85F? it's hotter outside right now than that. LOL That will really cook it?

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Cold smoke it. Use trays if ice and less burning embers. Check temp and dont let it get above 85F better if its lower, somewhere around 70-75F, but not much lower than 70F. Takes longer but will smoke it without drying the meat out. Same thing is done with salmon.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smoke it inside of a pig or something like that?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:20 AM
JK Freak

the easiest way to make delicious smoked deer is the oldest way, sausage it, take your deer, and mix it with something fatty like pork belly, 75/25 deer pork is a good starting point blend, case it, hang it in smoker, mmmmmm yummy, use any sausage seasoning you like, my favorite is full of mustard seeds, of just smoke it with salt and pepper in the blend for high deer flavor. either way the pork belly fat will keep it from drying out, and who doesnt like good sausage? if you like you can twist it into links braut length of easy bun fitting, you can also make flat wracks of patties to smoke. damnit im getting hungery just typing this up.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Put a large pan of water in the smoker near the heat source, this should keep enough moisture in the cook chamber so the meat doesn't dry out. Keep your temps low, no more than 225. The cook will take longer but, you shouldn't dry out the meat this way.

This is probably a much better place for your question than here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/118/wild-game
Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

I have some killer link sausage and such. I wanted to do the whole deer. I believe the fella that posted after you provided the solution.

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
the easiest way to make delicious smoked deer is the oldest way, sausage it, take your deer, and mix it with something fatty like pork belly, 75/25 deer pork is a good starting point blend, case it, hang it in smoker, mmmmmm yummy, use any sausage seasoning you like, my favorite is full of mustard seeds, of just smoke it with salt and pepper in the blend for high deer flavor. either way the pork belly fat will keep it from drying out, and who doesnt like good sausage? if you like you can twist it into links braut length of easy bun fitting, you can also make flat wracks of patties to smoke. damnit im getting hungery just typing this up.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:45 AM
JK Freak

I'll try keeping a water source in there, and keep it basted maybe. I try not to do too many websites. I can't keep up with them all. But thanks for the link. I figured someone here would have a solution, and you did!

Originally Posted by red09
Put a large pan of water in the smoker near the heat source, this should keep enough moisture in the cook chamber so the meat doesn't dry out. Keep your temps low, no more than 225. The cook will take longer but, you shouldn't dry out the meat this way.

This is probably a much better place for your question than here:

Wild Game
Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ur boning the carcass (lol) u can butterfly the larger muscles flat (no thicker than 1.5"ish). Season and cold smoke, you will yield a flavorful and not dried out product that will last a long time. Sausage is another solution, but not if you were trying to keep it as simple as possible, or healthy and lean.

Quick Reply: smoking a whole deer