Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

December brown mountain trip

Old 10-12-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good it takes me about 5 hours to get there but I don't mind, I believe I know a couple a guys on the forum I may can persuade. If you no anyone that might be interested spread the word.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trailguy
Sounds good it takes me about 5 hours to get there but I don't mind, I believe I know a couple a guys on the forum I may can persuade. If you no anyone that might be interested spread the word.
Will do brother!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Count me in for now! December is my busy season, ho, ho, ho!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Depending on the date, we may be interested, as well as my nephew and his family. The best place to see the lights is either a pull off that's on 181 or from Wisemans View off of old 105.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Misscinlee
Depending on the date, we may be interested, as well as my nephew and his family. The best place to see the lights is either a pull off that's on 181 or from Wisemans View off of old 105.
I heard there were two ways to get to Wiesmans one by trail and other by black top is that correct?
Old 10-13-2015, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I may be able to come for the day. I haven't been to Brown Mountain yet and would like to try it out and meet some fellow forum guys. I'll subscribe to stay in the loop.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by catahoula
I heard there were two ways to get to Wiesmans one by trail and other by black top is that correct?
If you go to the top of 181 and turn left onto 183, you can then turn on old 105. The pavement ends pretty quickly. There is a visitor center manned by volunteers a few hours each weekend. It's a fun gravel road with amazing scenery into the gorge and into North Cove. There are hiking trails and some primitive camping allowed. There is very little black top, only in places that wash out so badly that the average auto wouldn't make it. There's another entrance, it's off of hwy 126 that goes around Lake James. It's all gravel once you begin the climb up the mountain. The views of the lake are always worth the trip up!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Misscinlee
If you go to the top of 181 and turn left onto 183, you can then turn on old 105. The pavement ends pretty quickly. There is a visitor center manned by volunteers a few hours each weekend. It's a fun gravel road with amazing scenery into the gorge and into North Cove. There are hiking trails and some primitive camping allowed. There is very little black top, only in places that wash out so badly that the average auto wouldn't make it. There's another entrance, it's off of hwy 126 that goes around Lake James. It's all gravel once you begin the climb up the mountain. The views of the lake are always worth the trip up!
Yea I didn't get to run that gravel road Sunday, I've done it before we could run that to the trailhead. I don't care up to yall.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by trailguy
Yea I didn't get to run that gravel road Sunday, I've done it before we could run that to the trailhead. I don't care up to yall.
We were there Sunday. The Lake end wasn't bad but you wouldn't believe the mess the other end at the top was! I think every tourist within 50 miles was there parked all over the place. The road was almost impassable without going all monster truck on them!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like the parkway sunday.

Quick Reply: December brown mountain trip