Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

ScotlandJK AEV Install

Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo hoses...

Installed some Samco Silicone Turbo hoses as stock ones were seeping oil. 4+ weeks delivery from Merlin Motorsports.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick Your Brains Please

Hi

I am in the UK and have a black Wrangler 4 door diesel RHD which I have lifted with an AEV 2.5" kit purchased from Quadratec in the USA. I have the same wheels J K Pintlers and 315/70 17s Goodyear Duratracs like you. All done now except that I need to purchase a tire carrier from the USA and fit it exactly as you have so as to take the spare wheel on tha back of the Jeep just as you have. Please can you tell me the precise part yopu purchased. I want to keep the existing bumper but just want the tyre carrier which has to be bolted into the chassis like you did to take the extra weight. I really need to know what to buy and how you dealt with the existing bumper: I assume that you had to cut it. Will be very grateful if you coauld let m,e know how to do this.

Many thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Buzz4
Hi

I am in the UK and have a black Wrangler 4 door diesel RHD which I have lifted with an AEV 2.5" kit purchased from Quadratec in the USA. I have the same wheels J K Pintlers and 315/70 17s Goodyear Duratracs like you. All done now except that I need to purchase a tire carrier from the USA and fit it exactly as you have so as to take the spare wheel on tha back of the Jeep just as you have. Please can you tell me the precise part yopu purchased. I want to keep the existing bumper but just want the tyre carrier which has to be bolted into the chassis like you did to take the extra weight. I really need to know what to buy and how you dealt with the existing bumper: I assume that you had to cut it. Will be very grateful if you coauld let m,e know how to do this.

Many thanks
get the aev tire carrier its a bolt on affair (see their web site)..........or alternatively the terraflex carrier is really a nice add on too (even easier to install than the aev)
Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Buzz4
Hi

Many thanks
Hey,

It is a reasonably straight forward install but need to make sure it is aligned correctly with the spacers sometimes. It just requires drilling a few holes in the rear frame so not too bad.

The most awkward thing to do is cut out the section of the stock plastic bumper so that it fits over the chassis mount spindle… i used a drill to start the cut in the thick plastic and accidentally went through to the outer side. You can see in one of the pics below (filled it with black silicone and hardly notice it now).

I ordered just the tyre carrier from the link below (a while ago so might have changed slightly in design, not sure). There is a PDF installation manual under the fitment tab you might want to check out. Note that when I installed my one there wasn't a template for cutting the EU plastic bumper so that took a little while to work around but easily achievable.

AEV Rear Bumper Tire Carrier for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Cheers,
Dom

Some pics for info:

Old 08-08-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Default Ball Joints and Stock Driveshaft CV Boot Replacement

About 11,000 miles ago, the CV boot of the stock front driveshaft developed a small slit in it which caused some grease to fly out of the joint. As a temporary repair I just siliconed over the tear which seemed to work just fine but thought I had best fix it properly.

I ordered a Crown Automotive Drive Shaft CV Joint Repair Kit and hoped it would work - it was not too bad a job to replace at all, pics below:

Also replaced the front ball joints with Synergy greaseable joints whilst I had some spare time too - they have only ever been replaced once by the dealer when the jeep had 17,000 miles on it. Bought a 4x4 ball joint remover from ebay/amazon and was surprisingly easy to do.

Changed out a leaking rear bilstien shock and replaced the rear swaybar links as the joints were shot.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM
DDB
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great thread but a couple of questions...

1: Did you change your driveshafts after that lift?
2: Did you extend the rear brake lines at all, if so, extension brackets or new pipes?
3: If yes to either, did you manage to find a European source?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DDB

2: Did you extend the rear brake lines at all, if so, extension brackets or new pipes?
for crown kits you can get them in UK, France , in Germany, in Italy and Spain through the resellers there.....google crown and check their distributors and resellers.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DDB

Driveshafts are still stock- I did change out the front cv joint as mentioned above. The rear is fine however I dont "flex" the jeep much off-road so that may be an issue if you are looking to do so. All new braided stainless steel crown automotive brake lines front and rear for added length.

I bought the vast majority from quadratec and had it air freighted via UPS. For me it was the easiest and quickest option as I had a number of items shipped at once.

Hope that helps,
Dom
Old 12-18-2016, 12:18 AM
JK Freak

A few new items installed:
- RCV axle shafts
- New inner front axle seals (crown)
- Alloy USA outer axle seals
- New set of front wheel hubs (drivers side bearing had gone)
- Accessory belt
- TerraFlex HD front balljoint set
- EBC slotted brake discs and green stuff pads front and rear
- Nextbase dash cam

Old 03-04-2017, 05:21 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its been a while on hear
Had to get my hubs done also ... last year around 67,000
It was the near side that was faulty for me, causing the sensor to act up
Had just entered the forest tracks at Kielder when it happen (had a tell tale sign a few weeks earlier tho)
Disconnected sensor, drove OK, but with lite up dash so continued with the day out.
As it happens
Just got ball & U-Joints done couple of weeks ago plus inner front axle seals, as had issues getting short shaft back in
Hopefully good to go for anther 60-70K with luck

Any reason you swapped out the synergy b/Joints for the Teraflex ?

Just had the clock spring recall done last week
Being a MK1 2007 build I was told it included the airbag as well plus new shroud

Last edited by RLT; 03-04-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Quick Reply: ScotlandJK AEV Install