Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

ScotlandJK AEV Install

Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrangler07
Good stuff! Did you get the Tunit box installed yet?
Nope, havent got around to ordering anything yet. I will see how it copes with the new mods first then maybe when I have saved up a bit I might chip it. I am a little concerned with the gearbox/clutch coping with the extra torque.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's looking better! Welcome to the AEV club.

Nick
Old 06-07-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Default Getting there slowly...

Well got a few smaller things done, working on the front at the minute but have stumbled upon a bit of an unexpected find...
Whole chassis is now painted except for front axle area
Rear diff cover off and new oil with arb cover in place with lubelocker

2.25 ltrs of this stuff

Wired up the CB antenna, backup cam and AEV CHSML neatly (will cut the bolts down to size soon)

Might have to trim the rear pinch seam...

Changed the transfer case oil...

Starting the front

calipers painted

diff breather extension

BROKEN U-joint Ordered a new set from FTE 4x4 along with the alloy usa axle seals

axle shafts out

Also managed to break one of the speed sensors so will be phoning around dealers tomorrow trying to find a new one

Stuck in the hub, took some drilling to get out

will finish de-rusting tomorrow and hopefully get a few coats of hammerite on (at least its all stripped down now..

More pics in sig if that isnt enough

Last edited by scotlandjk; 06-07-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya doing good stuff there, mate. The chip box has 9 settings so you can choose the torque yourself. Myself and another guy are running the most extreme setting with no problems. My friend has been running it for over a year with no adverse affect on the drivetrain or anything else.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wrangler07
Ya doing good stuff there, mate. The chip box has 9 settings so you can choose the torque yourself. Myself and another guy are running the most extreme setting with no problems. My friend has been running it for over a year with no adverse affect on the drivetrain or anything else.
It is definitely on the list, need to save up a bit....

I will try and get one maybe in the winter sometime
Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
It is definitely on the list, need to save up a bit....

I will try and get one maybe in the winter sometime
No drama! BTW, I'm from up your way myself. Folks are from Dumfries, Motherwell and Wishaw.

Oh, and just ordered an LOD mid-width to accommodate my new winch.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the way you take the time to repaint/restore rusty parts. I keep telling myself I'm due for this and never get around to it. But that looks damn good! Nice job on the snorkel install, mine should be in tomorrow
Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bloody Hell......

......... how old will that U Joint be then ?
Been doing anything extreme, or is it just rust ?
Will have to keep I eye on mine.
My Jk's an 07 which I purchased new (half price) in 2009 so it must have stood for a couple of years rotting on ChryslerUk's parking lot.
In for its second service tomorrow, so going to get them to check them out.
Did you get much debris out of the diffs when you drained & took the covers off ?
Have you checked out the ball joints ?

Wish I had the time and facilities to get stuck in like your doing, its the only way.
Is it just regular hammerite your using on the axel.
What did you use to take the thick of the rust off.
Nice job and photo's ... well done
Old 06-08-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RLT
......... how old will that U Joint be then ?
Been doing anything extreme, or is it just rust ?
Will have to keep I eye on mine.
My Jk's an 07 which I purchased new (half price) in 2009 so it must have stood for a couple of years rotting on ChryslerUk's parking lot.
In for its second service tomorrow, so going to get them to check them out.
Did you get much debris out of the diffs when you drained & took the covers off ?
Have you checked out the ball joints ?

Wish I had the time and facilities to get stuck in like your doing, its the only way.
Is it just regular hammerite your using on the axel.
What did you use to take the thick of the rust off.
Nice job and photo's ... well done
Nope nothing extreme recently, mine is a may 07 build and bought it in oct 08. It was pretty rusted up when I got it. I reckon the u joint has been bad for some time, maybe a few weeks before I left edinburgh. The 12hr straight drive from north of Aberdeen to Dartmouth prob didnt do it any favours either...
New U joint will be arriving tomorrow so will try and get the old one out (a lot of work I think they are very rusted on, might take it to the local garage if i cant get it off)
Front end is all harrmerited, front arb diff cover and AEV bracket is on. Should finish off the front suspension tomorrow, however the speed sensor is meant to arrive on sat so wont get to go out for a spin till after that.
The ball joints were replaced at about 25000 miles by the dealer under warranty.
Just smooth black straight to rust hammerite, not sure how well it will hold up but it looks nice for now...
No metal at all in the diffs, however a lot of rust on the halfshafts, have ordered alloy usa seals to try and keep crap out of the tubes in future.
Mixture of a wire brush on an electric drill and a air powered needle gun. Was going to get a sand blasting cabinet but managed without. About 70% of my time has been de-rusting everything, it not much fun either, but all done now.

To be honest, the lift is nice, but to do all the suspension stuff it is much better off on the ground with a few jack stands....unless you have a two post lift that is. As long as to have the basic tools then everything is pretty straight forward.

Last edited by scotlandjk; 06-08-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:45 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would love to have the time.......

...... to do a full job on my JK like you've done, but being self employed its difficult.
I would still check the ball joints out, mine were found to gone at 17K and most likely went earlier. Getting them checked out tomorrow along with the U joints when its in for service. Busy compiling a list as long as rolls of wall paper atm, so I'm going to be popular
You seemed to have educated youself extremely well on all the parts required, so I'll be asking for recommendations on whats required next year

RLT

Quick Reply: ScotlandJK AEV Install