Notices
Forum Support Please post Jeep questions in the technical forums. If you're new to JK-Forum and have questions on how to post photographs, use the search function for optimal results, modify your signature or profile, resolve issues you might be having logging in or just about anything else including where to find newbie JK FAQ's, this is the place to start!

Can't edit posts older than X days -- It used to work...

Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to update some broken photos and links too Not being able to edit posts is a drawback to this forum, IMO; it should be unlimited.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey,

It's a good question with a couple answers. VBulletin options are not very discreet as the 'time to edit option' is a global setting. We can't modify it to allow unlimited editing a in specific forum which would be very helpful. The general reason for the limit outside the build forums is to hold people accountable for what they posts, in other words choose your words carefully. Another is to prevent the change of a item description in the classifieds after the sale. I'm on other social media sites where the time to edit is in minutes. As far as a build thread, a moderator can assist by adding content or we can temporarily remove the restriction while the thread is updated. Did I answer your question?

Bob
Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlimit
Hey,

It's a good question with a couple answers. VBulletin options are not very discreet as the 'time to edit option' is a global setting. We can't modify it to allow unlimited editing a in specific forum which would be very helpful. The general reason for the limit outside the build forums is to hold people accountable for what they posts, in other words choose your words carefully. Another is to prevent the change of a item description in the classifieds after the sale. I'm on other social media sites where the time to edit is in minutes. As far as a build thread, a moderator can assist by adding content or we can temporarily remove the restriction while the thread is updated. Did I answer your question?

Bob
Thanks Bob -- Understood.

Not arguing, but another way to look at it is that people show their true colors with the freedom to edit, and by tracking changes mods can get rid of the bad apples rather than restrict them into minimum ethical behavior.

Will PM when ready to make a few updates all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Can't edit posts older than X days -- It used to work...