Notices
Forum Support Please post Jeep questions in the technical forums. If you're new to JK-Forum and have questions on how to post photographs, use the search function for optimal results, modify your signature or profile, resolve issues you might be having logging in or just about anything else including where to find newbie JK FAQ's, this is the place to start!

iPhone app not working

Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
I'm running an iPhone4 with iOS 7.0.4 / JK app version 1.6.5 --alls good. Are you up to date?

I'm running iOS 4. Never updated beyond that. Simply not worth it. It will be easier for me to move to another phone from a different manufacturer that does not use iOS.

Originally Posted by speedlimit
Hi,

I'm sorry, but I'm not aware of any version that will run with a IOS before IOS4.

Bob
I just tried that Autogroup one and it requires iOS 4.3 and I'm running 4. The other app worked perfectly, without issues.

My iPhone is the 3GS. I already dumped Facebook and other stuff that were forcing me to upgrade to newer iOS versions.

Can't you guys make your app run on iOS 4 like the other one?

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 02-07-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Thanks everyone!

I'm running iOS 4. Never updated beyond that. Simply not worth it. It will be easier for me to move to another phone from a different manufacturer that does not use iOS.

I just tried that Autogroup one and it requires iOS 4.3 and I'm running 4. The other app worked perfectly, without issues.

My iPhone is the 3GS. I already dumped Facebook and other stuff that were forcing me to upgrade to newer iOS versions.

Can't you guys make your app run on iOS 4 like the other one?
iOS4 is 4 years old and not too many use it as opposed to the millions who use iOS7. So, the app developers have little incentive to code for out date OS. Depending on what new phone you get, Android could be this years release or from 2010 depending on which flavor of Android is on the phone. Driver support and carrier support / release makes Android a tinkerer device.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-07-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

iOS4 is 4 years old and not too many use it as opposed to the millions who use iOS7. So, the app developers have little incentive to code for out date OS. Depending on what new phone you get, Android could be this years release or from 2010 depending on which flavor of Android is on the phone. Driver support and carrier support / release makes Android a tinkerer device.

I did not decide between Android and Windows yet. I do not trust Android and Windows' adoption still very low. Since my iPhone is still working I'm keeping it, even though Apple is definitely out of consideration for the upgrade. And I'm not in a hurry.

I simply refuse to get in this upgrade treadmill. If I have to choose between dumping an app and being forced to upgrade the phone OS I'll not think twice.

Does the forum have a Windows app or just Android and iOS?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The upgrade path is inevitable in electronics. Phones are really computers that fit in a pocket. They advanced in 7 years to a mature platform that took desktops 20 years. Remember when you HAD to buy new computers to do things like have wifi or decent graphics? The 3GS can upgrade to iOS6, it's free: that's only one OS release behind the current. Think about all the security that iOS4 lacks since its so old.

Don't hold your breath for Android going to 64 bit computing, sure phones will release with 64 chips. But, Android can't release full 64 OS. The Java code is owned by Oracle. Oracle sued Google for illegal use of 32 bit stolen Java code. Android will have to work around by using 32 Java that slows down on a 64 system. Bound to be system hangs. Running full 64 code is like having a ton of torque at low rpms, able to do more work with less power.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-08-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been with Android since the first Droid phone. I think about going to IPhone but I have so many apps from owning Android devices for so long I just couldn't. I had a Windows Samsung Omnia years ago and it was so awful I don't trust Windows Mobile devices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2014, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

The upgrade path is inevitable in electronics. Phones are really computers that fit in a pocket. They advanced in 7 years to a mature platform that took desktops 20 years. Remember when you HAD to buy new computers to do things like have wifi or decent graphics? The 3GS can upgrade to iOS6, it's free: that's only one OS release behind the current. Think about all the security that iOS4 lacks since its so old.

Don't hold your breath for Android going to 64 bit computing, sure phones will release with 64 chips. But, Android can't release full 64 OS. The Java code is owned by Oracle. Oracle sued Google for illegal use of 32 bit stolen Java code. Android will have to work around by using 32 Java that slows down on a 64 system. Bound to be system hangs. Running full 64 code is like having a ton of torque at low rpms, able to do more work with less power.

You are talking about two completely different things. I indeed upgraded PC hardware in the past because I wanted to do something better or faster. Nowadays we reached the law of minimum returns, with few exceptions.

It's a completely different story when we are talking about some Internet forum app that's nothing more than a thin client. It's actually the forum's owners's interest to reach as many people as possible.

Furthermore, the previous app worked perfectly and the forum's owners chose to make an upgrade that left some phones and OSs out. For what I read in otther threads there was no value added in the new app, just a brand change.

So, I'm not upgrading my phone to a new OS when the one I have works fine and the new one has new issues. Like I said before I do not upgrade meaninglessly neither will encourage it. No, but no thank you.

Quick Reply: iPhone app not working