Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep dies while driving

Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep dies while driving

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport 3.8L. My question is, while driving my instrument panel goes haywire, the abs, parking brake light, and all the other lights begin to blink and the bells start going off. Then the jeep dies. I was told it was the alternator, so I replaced it and out in a new battery and new serpentine belt. And the cycle continues with the instrument panel and it does again. What else could be the problem?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the horn go off or wipers go off or anything? Does it start right back up after you pull over?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

No to the horn or wipers. The radio, which is the stock radio, will switch from the radio to aux and to cd without warning. Other than that it will kill the engine and won't start back.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Next time pull over and knock on top of the fuse box in front of the battery and see if it starts up immediately.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks I will try that.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

It ended up being the TIPM. The dealership is going to replace it for me for a lot of money.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Is there any indication as to why it failed? How many miles and how much is "a lot of money"??
Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Is there any indication as to why it failed? How many miles and how much is "a lot of money"??
On average they run $5-600 not including labor. We replaced a lot of them this year, Jeep needs to recall these TIPM's. Might be worth joining one of the campaign's or investigations regarding TIPM's.

Most failures we observe are power door locks or fans stop working, when the engine dies that is a safety concern and the NHTSB would be interested.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI

On average they run $5-600 not including labor. We replaced a lot of them this year, Jeep needs to recall these TIPM's. Might be worth joining one of the campaign's or investigations regarding TIPM's.

Most failures we observe are power door locks or fans stop working, when the engine dies that is a safety concern and the NHTSB would be interested.
Yep the NHSTA is fully aware and has there an open case against chrysler righy now. Chrysler is fully aware of this also and they also admit that the TIPM is an issue and it's tgere fault and not the customers yet they did nothing to help me with mine. So I traded it in for something more reliable. I'd call customer care and open a case for you and report it.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

They told me it because of the headlights and light bars. Said they were hooked up wrong and causing it to fry the TIPM. I had a company that installs light bars do it. As for price, to me, $1500 is a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Jeep dies while driving