Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

New to Denver, Want to hit a trail this weekend...

Old 04-18-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Denver, Want to hit a trail this weekend...

Anybody want to cruise a trail ride this weekend?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am pretty sure all of the trails we normally take in late spring or early summer are pretty well snowed in right now. Many of them have closed gates. We have over 100% snow pack in most of the state so I am expecting a big run off and maybe a late thaw. A couple of years ago some of the trails never did clear. I was up snow shoeing west of Bailey two weeks ago and was on top of 10 to 12 feet of snow in some places up around 9000 feet.

There are some dirt roads in the foot hills and probably some maintained dirt roads here and there but nothing I would call a trail. Course some do venture right into deep snow but that is another form of wheeling I never tried.

You could take a nice ride back into the mountains though, head up to Breckenridge by 70 then go south towards Fairplay and come back into Denver by 285. It would give you a good view to some great wheeling on both sides of the road and give you an idea of the snowpack.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pylot7
I am pretty sure all of the trails we normally take in late spring or early summer are pretty well snowed in right now. Many of them have closed gates. We have over 100% snow pack in most of the state so I am expecting a big run off and maybe a late thaw. A couple of years ago some of the trails never did clear. I was up snow shoeing west of Bailey two weeks ago and was on top of 10 to 12 feet of snow in some places up around 9000 feet.

There are some dirt roads in the foot hills and probably some maintained dirt roads here and there but nothing I would call a trail. Course some do venture right into deep snow but that is another form of wheeling I never tried.

You could take a nice ride back into the mountains though, head up to Breckenridge by 70 then go south towards Fairplay and come back into Denver by 285. It would give you a good view to some great wheeling on both sides of the road and give you an idea of the snowpack.
Yes sir, even up by idaho springs.

Barbour fork and spring creek are still white for the most part. At least a couple feet deep in most spots. But if you have the equipment the jeeps will make it slowly.

Another two weeks and it will be looking much better. In two months they are always ready.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdcoastborn
Anybody want to cruise a trail ride this weekend?
as the other guys stated, most are snow covered. And, the snow now, is snow on top of ice, on top of snow, etc., etc., etc....
You can try meekers pass to Estes park. Maybe, just maybe you have a chance there.....
Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 AM
JK Newbie

China Wall and Chinaman Gulch are both easily doable this time of year. I have run both in the last 6 weeks.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Ironclads, metberry gulch and the other 2 nearby gulches are also clear I believe

Quick Reply: New to Denver, Want to hit a trail this weekend...