Notices
Fun in the Sun General discussion forum regarding all the fun things we Jeepers do with our Jeep JK Wranglers including camping, fishing, hunting, and geocaching.

Help me choose my vacation

Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose my vacation

I live in the UK and I'm trying to decide between two trips this summer...what do you think?

Option 1 - Fly to LA, rent a Mustang and drive Route 66 to Chicago staying in motels for 16 days + Vegas and Grand Canyon

Option 2 - Take a boat to Spain, another boat to Morocco and drive my JK (with an organised group) across the Atlas mountains and Sahara desert for 3 weeks. Camping only.

Costs are about the same...

Paul

Last edited by cyberil; 07-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cyberil
I live in the UK and I'm trying to decide between two trips this summer...what do you think?

Option 1 - Fly to LA, rent a Mustang and drive Route 66 to Chicago staying in motels for 16 days + Vegas and Grand Canyon

Option 2 - Take a boat to Spain, another boat to Morocco and drive my JK (with an organised group) across the Atlas mountains and Sahara desert for 3 weeks. Camping only.

Costs are about the same...

Paul
I'm going to go with option 2. It seems like more of an adventure.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote option 2
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote option 1.

One because camping for 3 weeks sounds miserable to me AND because I went on a trip from San Francisco(awesome), rented a car and drive down the coast to LA and then to Vegas over 10 days. By far the best vacation I've ever gone on. Something to see.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Option 2.

Or... You could fly into Chicago, do whatever there is to do there (eat) for a day or so, then drive to Grandcanyon (or fly to Flagstaff and don't waist time), see that for a day or so, but while your there you can visit Vegas for a day, then Lake Powell, Zion's, and then rent a jeep in MOAB. Tons to do in that area.

Driving in the Midwest can be pretty dull. A lot of cornfields, or dessert.

I am not a fan of LA.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by horrocks007
Option 2.

Or... You could fly into Chicago, do whatever there is to do there (eat) for a day or so, then drive to Grandcanyon (or fly to Flagstaff and don't waist time), see that for a day or so, but while your there you can visit Vegas for a day, then Lake Powell, Zion's, and then rent a jeep in MOAB. Tons to do in that area.

Driving in the Midwest can be pretty dull. A lot of cornfields, or dessert.

I am not a fan of LA.
I like this idea. I also hate camping - I think 3 weeks of it will drive me crazy
Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EzK
I vote option 1.

One because camping for 3 weeks sounds miserable to me AND because I went on a trip from San Francisco(awesome), rented a car and drive down the coast to LA and then to Vegas over 10 days. By far the best vacation I've ever gone on. Something to see.
I've done the same trip 3 times already - it's great. Camping in the desert for 3 weeks kinda puts me off. I don't have a roof tent either which will add another $2,000 + to the cost. Also, been to Morocco twice before...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Option 1
A mustang rental car drive about like any other car nowadays, although a convertible is nice. With that said, you can rent a hardtop Jeep and pull the freedom top panels off anytime you want. You are also not limited to staying on the blacktops. It'll cost you a bit more in gas, but it's worth it in my opinion. I rent both on occasion in California and Las Vegas and prefer the Jeep. Just don't get a soft top for noise and security reasons. Parts of Route 66 are really rough, and there is allot to see just off the route that is more suitable for an off-road vehicle.

I think the US would give you more bang for the buck. You'll see so much more.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all your input. I've made my decision:

I'm driving from London to France - travelling through rural France for 3 days or so, then into Spain where I'll spend 3 days chilling on a beach. Then a week off roading in the Pyrenees mountains with an organised group. Then a 1 night cruise home from Spain to the UK.

Paul
Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cyberil
Thanks for all your input. I've made my decision:

I'm driving from London to France - travelling through rural France for 3 days or so, then into Spain where I'll spend 3 days chilling on a beach. Then a week off roading in the Pyrenees mountains with an organised group. Then a 1 night cruise home from Spain to the UK.

Paul
Sounds like a good time!

Quick Reply: Help me choose my vacation