Notices
Fun in the Sun General discussion forum regarding all the fun things we Jeepers do with our Jeep JK Wranglers including camping, fishing, hunting, and geocaching.

What do you sleep on in Jeep?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Croce
I just went camping and was able to fit a single size matress in the back. Never slept so comfortably while camping
you do need to move the front seats up all the way for it to fit nicely though
That's a good idea
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983
Those seem nice, I read the reviews that all said they were great, however $250 for 2 pads is a little more than I would want to spend.
I can understand that. But at some point I realized I kept spending money on air mattresses again and again. My spine was worth spending a little more this time!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jahbone
Since I switched to a self-inflatable sleeping pad (not an air mattress), I will never go back to air mattresses. These pads hold their air all night, and are very comfortable. They self-inflate enough when you unroll them, that you could probably sleep on them as-is, but I spend another 15 seconds to puff them up nice and firm.

I got the REI 3.5" sleeping pad- you can go thinner, but my 38-year-old spine thanks me for this. I can set this right on a rock (I actually slept outdoors on concrete with this pad and woke up refreshed).

REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Pad

They also sell a cheap kit that straps one pad to a second pad, making a dual sleeper if you have a companion. Just keeps the pads from sliding apart. My girl and I have identical pads and sleeping bags which zip together so it's easy to go solo or make a big bed for the two of us.
These look great! I am definately going to check these out! I agree...a little extra money to save my back is well worth it!!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

haha ive slept in every jeep ive had (2 wranglers and a liberty)

Just fill up the air mattress and it contours to the back of the jeep *(seat folded down)

Climb in and count sheep. I almost always have a girl in there with me, I think there is plenty of room. Plus it saves setup and tear down of tents, protects you from weather and from animals intent on either eating you or making you itchy.

+1 i do that also. me and the wife both slept comfey while we had a fan on the center console
Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Wait! Haha was it a battery fan or dod you just plugged in the 12V? Never had a inflatable mattress in mine. Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2 on the sleeping PAD.

I got one at REI during a sale for like $70 bucks... best thing I ever got for camping.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
x2 on the sleeping PAD.

I got one at REI during a sale for like $70 bucks... best thing I ever got for camping.
I know!! I hate spending money, but those sleeping pads have made camping fun again for me. Like I said, I slept outside a friend's ranch on the concrete patio, because the weather was so good. I woke up feeling better than the day before

I've slept on roots, rocks, branches... the pads absorb it all and haven't leaked in the 3 years I've had them.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

So over the past few years I have gone through prob about 5 air mattresses while sleeping in my jeep. They were the cheaper colemans that cost prob 30 bucks.

This year, I was going to try and find an alternative. What do you guys sleep on. My g/f has to be comfortable, so softness is key.

I wondered if maybe a better mattress would not puncture as easily? Or what are some alternatives?
Get a small trailer with pop up tent
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I made a wooden deck with drawers under it (based on this: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...torage-178549/). It is covered in thin carpeting and I just sleep on that - no mattress. If it is cold, I'll lay on a blanket for more insulation. For her, I'd go with a Therma-Rest mattress. Self inflating, rugged, light and can be rolled up small to get it out of the way.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Usually some kind of padding thrown down, nothing special. Those pads from REI look good, I'll have to look into them.

Quick Reply: What do you sleep on in Jeep?