Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Can the Garmin Nuvi's use GPS Exchange Files

Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the Garmin Nuvi's use GPS Exchange Files

Hey guys,

Title says it all. I've got a Nuvi that I recieved as a present from my mom this last christmas (she said it'd be great for all that travel I have to do for the AF, and I do like it. I know you guys hate on the Nuvi's from what I've read). However, I'm wondering if it can use the GPS Exchange Files that are on the trail damage website. I'm going on a trip through colorado starting on saturday and am trying to find an easier way to get to the trails and camp spots.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Download a copy of EasyGPS. It is free software and great for loading gpx files onto almost any GPS.

there is also the POI loader which you can get from the Garmin website.

Last edited by tj-tigger; 08-06-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

No I do not believe any Nuvi's except the 500 series are able to import track files as you would be downloading from Trail Damage, You can convert the tracks in Mapsource to a route that you should be able to use if the Nuvi allows you to import a route file, but if you do that you MUST turn off the "Auto Recalculate" function or the GPS will re-route the file to what it thinks you should go which is worthless as most of the trails you download are not on the GPS.
The NUVI series is a simple street use only GPS, very limited for off-road use.
r

Quick Reply: Can the Garmin Nuvi's use GPS Exchange Files