Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Minnesota's ramble on and on thread.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You all enjoying the snow and cold up, sure is nice down here now. 51 now and a low of 44 with rain coming in. Sure do miss the snow and cold folks
Old 11-21-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well im going to get my mud flaps on my jeep tomorrow. Got everything I need. Just few holes and little welding. Looks good in my head but we'll see. Hope to post up pictures tomorrow night.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

Why mud flaps Mudbob
Old 11-22-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by irongate
Why mud flaps Mudbob
I got pulled over for my tires sticking out to far from under my flares. Minnesota law says nothing can be sticking out. Thought if I put some mud flaps on it might not look so bad.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mudbob
I got pulled over for my tires sticking out to far from under my flares. Minnesota law says nothing can be sticking out. Thought if I put some mud flaps on it might not look so bad.
I guess the state needs some money or someone needs some points on their badge! Maybe it depends how much is sticking out to the person looking at those tires? Or that person was just bored?

Time to change that Law, if they want Jeep people to come to that state. It is bad out East too with those nut heads there.

Now here that is a different story, this is jeep country and truck country. so they don't worry about some things like that here.

Have fun putting them on to some degree
Old 11-22-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need mud flaps and the fender issue is very open ended. This is coming from someone who specialized in traffic enforcement and CMV for 3 years. Joe and I had this discussion when he moved here.

169.734 AUTOMOBILE FENDERS.

Every passenger automobile shall have fenders, or other devices, that are designed to prevent, as far as practicable, water, dirt, or other material being thrown up and to the rear by the wheels of the vehicle.

Pretty open ended

169.733 WHEEL FLAPS ON TRUCK AND TRAILER.

Subdivision 1. Vehicles generally. Every truck, truck-tractor, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, and rear- end dump truck, excepting rear-end dump farm trucks, must be provided with wheel flaps or other suitable protection above and behind the rearmost wheels of the vehicle or combination of vehicles to prevent, as far as practicable, the wheels from throwing dirt, water, or other materials on the windshields of following vehicles. The flaps or protectors must be at least as wide as the tires they are protecting and have a ground clearance of not more than nine inches from the ground when the vehicle is empty.

Subd. 2. Vehicle with conveyor belt. For a dump truck or truck with a rigid box fastened to its frame and having a conveyor belt or chain in the bottom of the vehicle that moves the cargo to the rear end of the vehicle, the flaps must be mounted as far to the rear of the vehicle as practicable and have a ground clearance of not more than 18 inches when the vehicle is loaded.

Subd. 3. Bottom-dump vehicle. In addition to meeting the requirements of subdivision 1, a bottom- dump cargo vehicle transporting sand, gravel, aggregate, dirt, lime rock, silica, or similar material must be equipped with a center flap between the wheel flaps, which must have a ground clearance of six inches or less when the vehicle is fully loaded.

Subd. 4. Alternative requirements. If the motor vehicle is so designed and constructed that the above requirements are

accomplished by means of body construction or other means of enclosure, then no protectors or flaps are required.

Subd. 5. Extended flaps. If the rear wheels are not covered at the top by fenders, body or other parts of the vehicle, the flap or other protective means must be extended at least to a point directly above the center of the rearmost axle.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Finally here is the catch it the mud flap statute. That some officers forget to understand

The definition of Subd. 37. Truck. "Truck" means any motor vehicle designed and used for carrying things other than passengers, except pickup trucks and vans included within the definition of passenger automobile in sub- division
This means that the mud flap statue is only applicable to commercial motor vehicles and jeeps are defined as passenger motor vehicles
Old 11-22-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

I'd love to say your right jake but the cops down here are dicks. And since they write the tickets I just need to play there game
Old 11-22-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Cops like that make the rest of us in the profession look bad and we don't like that. There are bigger fish to fry. My tires stick out from my fenders by a little more then a inch. I would agree and I could see a judge agreeing that under the law that would be "practical" as the vast majority of the tire is protected by the fender

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mudbob
I'd love to say your right jake but the cops down here are dicks. And since they write the tickets I just need to play there game
It's too bad, because most of those in Law are really pretty good or normal people. But their always has to be one bad apple to ruin it for all the others serving.

And of course they could of started the day off with someone giving them a hard time at home or at the office and now they carry that with them the rest of the day. Which is not right but it happens to all of us.

Sure do miss the cold and snow NO DONT THINK SO!

Quick Reply: Minnesota's ramble on and on thread.