Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Minnesota's ramble on and on thread.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minnesota's ramble on and on thread.

It was mentioned in another thread to start a BS thread so I figured I might as well. A few of us are heading to Gilbert this Saturday to do some light wheeling. I won't have my rockers done so it will be light wheeling.

I figure we can also post up if we want help with a rig or are having a shop day or whatever.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Yea this thread is a good idea, especially since we derailed that other one heh.

Yea I'll take that marker from ya, what do you want for it? Are you going to be in the cities this weekend or in Gilbert?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

I am actually going to be doing both. I am going to go wheeling for a few hours on Saturday (the nice part of living only an hour from the park) and then Saturday afternoon we are coming down to spend the night and then go and see Phineus and Ferb Live on Stage and the xCel on Sunday.

You can have the cover. I also have a set of stock 2 door flares and some 2 door side steps taking up space in my garage. I am riding down to the cities with someone else and meeting my wife down there though so I can only bring the marker light with on this trip.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

Great thread !!!

Talking @ TTT on Saturday some of the guys were mentioning that Gilbert dirt leaves a nice red stain on anything the gets in contact with because of the iron ore. How true is this?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

The only thing that really gets stained is the tires (with a little work you can get them black again but I don't try). After one or two trips up there they have a nice permanent orange color to them. As for the exterior it comes clean. I armor all my bumpers and fender flares on my JK and they seem to be staying cleaner then they did on my XJ. And I wash and wax my JK and it all comes off the paint. There is a wash station at the park but it is mainly for getting the big stuff off the rig. I suggest self serve car washes or a power washer, a bucket of warm soapy water and an old rag. The touch less washes don't do that good of a job.

As for the interior if you clean it up when you get home it usually comes right out. If you let it sit then it can be a little tougher.

Clothing is a different matter. If it gets into clothing it will stay. When you get home wash any clothes that you wore there in their own load, and don't wash whites right afterwords. Better yet take them to a Laundromat and wash them there. I have a whole drawer full of clothes that are just for wheeling at Gilbert, and special boots that only go to Gilbert.

You will notice that after you have been to Gilbert a few times you will have orange all over the underside of your rig. Before you do any major work under there take a power washer and REALLY hose the underside off or you will be orange from head to toe by the time you get done. The guys at the Jeep dealership hate it when I bring my vehicles in for service because they know it will be orange underneath. So I usually get a free carwash even with Oil Changes.

On a positive note the expansion to the park in Gilbert won't have this problem. It has never been mined, and is all natural rock, no iron ore and taconite dust. The trails there should start opening next spring/summer.

On a funny note a few years ago we were gathering in the parking lot on morning when we noticed a guy with a Land Rover off by himself. He was wiping his rig down before he went into the park. We were curious so we walked over. He was wiping the rig down with baby oil so the mud and dust would wash off the paint easier.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the 'dirt' on the orange dirt. I haven't been up there yet so that would have been a suprise.

My Sahara is almost trail ready. Bumper & rails are done. Tires & winch within the month.

I also have a set of Sahara steps to get rid of. I don't feel like going through the hassel of selling & shipping them, so if anyone local wants them (in the next few weeks), they are available for the taking.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by duluthjk
On a positive note the expansion to the park in Gilbert won't have this problem. It has never been mined, and is all natural rock, no iron ore and taconite dust. The trails there should start opening next spring/summer.

On a funny note a few years ago we were gathering in the parking lot on morning when we noticed a guy with a Land Rover off by himself. He was wiping his rig down before he went into the park. We were curious so we walked over. He was wiping the rig down with baby oil so the mud and dust would wash off the paint easier.
Yea that orange/red is tough to get out of anything other than paint once you get it on.

I've seen the baby oil bit before, thought it was pretty funny. If you're really that worried about getting dirty, don't take it off road
Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Hey Steel,

How'd your photos come out. When I got home I realized I didn't take any that were all that great. #fail
Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Beantownblue
Hey Steel,

How'd your photos come out. When I got home I realized I didn't take any that were all that great. #fail
I've only glanced at them, been pretty busy. Some good, some not so much heh. I'll try to clean some up this week and post them.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

sup guys i figure i might as well chime in on this thread as well...seems like you all had a pretty good time wheeling the pass couple weeks..i went up to gilbert 2 weekends ago...didnt do much spent about 3 hours on the light trails and and then back to duluth for a friends party...pretty nice....im happy with what my sahara could do...
so since we are on here why dont we post up pictures of our rig and ourselves so we wont be strangers when we do...do a group meet.

here is my rig Click image for larger version

Name:	lift.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	225188Click image for larger version

Name:	anne and me.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	225189 and thats me with the wifey...ill try and take better pic of black beauty but as of right now i only have this ...

Quick Reply: Minnesota's ramble on and on thread.