Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Importing a Firearm

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a Firearm

Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience or info on importing a hunting rifle into the U.S.A.

A little background info. I am originally from South Africa and have my rifle there sitting in my parent's safe. Just recently, the South African gun laws have got ridiculous and the government is making it extremely difficult for law abiding citizens to own firearms. Basically they are almost at the point of coming to people's houses to get the guns if you haven't jumped through all the government's hoops to keep to firearm. It's happening all over the world....grrr. Luckily these rules are currently waived for people residing out of the country, so that has given me a little time, but there is no knowing when they decide to take that luxury away from us.

Anyway, long story short, I would like to bring my rifle over to the States, rather than have them confiscate it and chop it into two.

I am thinking it may be easier for my wife, a U.S. Citizen, to "purchase' the gun from me and then import it here?

I know that I need to go through an FFL, but wanted to see if anyone had done something similar and could possibly give some advice.

Thanks...and sorry for the long post.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talk to an FFL they would probably give you the best answer. I would guess you would have to just have someone over there ship it to your wife over here and then just get a receipt for the transaction between you and the wife. Then all you would have to do is get the FFL to change the paperwork and pay the fee. I don't know what would have to be done to get the rifle through customs. The FFL would. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abock33
Talk to an FFL they would probably give you the best answer. I would guess you would have to just have someone over there ship it to your wife over here and then just get a receipt for the transaction between you and the wife. Then all you would have to do is get the FFL to change the paperwork and pay the fee. I don't know what would have to be done to get the rifle through customs. The FFL would. Hope that helps a bit.
Yes it definitely helps, thanks.

Yeah, I'm in the process of pulling together a Power of Attorney letter for my Brother in SA, along with copies of my SA gun license etc. so I'm hoping that will be enough for him. I believe he is on good terms with his local gun shop there and they seem to think it won't be a problem getting the gun out of the country, they are just concerned about the US side. I'm planning on making a trip out to an FFL here in Dallas in the next week so we'll see what they recommend.

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have some break the gun down as far as it will and then ship it as "replacement gun parts"

Quick Reply: Importing a Firearm