Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Openions on walther PPS

Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Openions on walther PPS

I'm thinking about trading in my Taurus 605 357 mag for a Walther PPS. I like the Taurus but want my concealed carry license but don't want to carry anything that heavy, plus I have had reliability problems. The PPS fits the mold I'm looking for, slim light and 9mm. How is reliability and accuracy? It has the best trigger, from dry firing, I have found in this size. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I carry my PPS daily in an in the waistband holster. It is a great little gun. Small and thin so it conceals easily. It fits my hand well. Very easy to shoot accurately. I like the trigger mag release, some don't. You will have to practice with that, but makes dropping a mag very quick.

The negatives are that the magazines are expensive, and not always in stock anywhere.....and the magazines are expensive....
Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

the pps is really nice, but look at the compact m&p and the rugers as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

I happen to like the PPS, aside from the mag release -- but that only because it's different than others & ruins my muscle memory thing -- the release itself works very well. It's a very well-designed & crafted item & with reasonable care (like anything else) should make you very happy.

Like many small semi-autos, the PPS can be finicky. The early ones had some mfrg issues (again, not unusual for just about anything), so hopefully you're buying new or know the history of a used one. There is a really excellent writeup on the 'net about how to break one of these in & avoid many of the common problems. The author based it on data he compiled from many owners.

The 40 is a handful in this size. If you aren't sure & can't try before you buy, think about that.

Depending on your state laws, you may or may not encounter 2 trigger pull weights, high & low. They may or may not still be marking them -- you can release the slide & move it forward only about 1/2 in. (you don't need to take it off). You'll then see a letter stamped on the disconnector, either "S" (allegedly for standard) or "H" (allegedly for high). I think some states mandate H only but dealers in states that allow S may still receive H stock.

Completely agree with above poster's comments about magazines -- you must be vigilent for deals & snap them up when you find them.

By all means look at some other brands. Kahr is a leading contender in that market. I think the PPS rocks, though YMMV.

HTH!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't eat everything you throw at them.

They print nice.

Look at the lcp too.

I have both and the lcp seems to be closer more often, plus they're cheap.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

I too am in the market, I been reading a lot of good things about the Beretta Nano (9mm).
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

I carry a glock 27 .40 concealed daily and wish I would have bought the glock 23 instead. I'm not down for 9mm but the glock 19 is 9mm compact or even smaller glock 26 9mm. Can't go wrong with a glock if your worried about reliability
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

I have my CCW here in Nevada and a few other places I generally carry my Kimber Super Carry Ultra in 45. I really like it a lot. If I dont carry it I carry my xDm 4.5" which in my opinion gets heavy after a while. My wife loves her Sig P238 and that is a great little gun! I know a LOT of guys that carry that every day.
My father in law just picked up a Nano for his off duty carry and so far he loves it. He says it shoots very well and isnt too small for his Sasquatch hands, lol. He is one big SOB think 6-1 and 285# of nothing but muscle. Yeah.
The PPS is a good little gun, a little finicky on ammo but not bad. I have debated picking one up a few times. It feels nice in my hand but I have never shot one, yet. If you are in NV shoot me a message as I know a guy on another forum I am a member of that is selling his. I think he said it has had 75 rounds through it and comes with a few extra mags.
Just depends on what you want it for and what is truly comfortable for you. I have tried Glocks and hate them but that is just me. They do not fit well in my hands and there are plenty of other sidearms I would much rather carry.
A guy I know just had a incident and had to use his 9. Let's just say while he likes his 9 he will never get another due to the way it performed. A bit of a long story but he is stuck on 45s from now on as his carry and he is ex-marine with police training and a few other things. He knows how to use his weapons.
Anyway, in the end it all comes down to what you are comfortable with.
I highly recommend if possible to join some local shooting forums and see if you can try out a few and go from there. Hope that helps more than confuses you
Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies, this is good stuff.

I have look at a few pistols the last week and keep going to the pps. Held a ruger lc9, kahr, and a few other. Love the striker trigger. Dont like the double action triggers. I have a 1911 but find it way large for everyday carry. Personally feel the best defense round to be the 357 and keep one in my night stand. Love the lcr in 38 special but find it wide for IWB carry. Read a lot on ballistics and all show the 9x19 to be a very good round for defense, plus I can shoot more without busting the wallet. I will start looking at the other options y'all have mentioned.

Thanks guys
Old 03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMHO the walther pps is not the best choice. I have owened the 9mm version for 2 years now and love it for a small OWB holster option but not as light and small as alot of other pistols. Mainly the kahr PM9 and kel tec PF9. The kahr is also pricey but you dont have to spend alot on mags, and the kel tec is some what unreliable from my exp. Look into the nano by beretta and the Sig xds (45acp) single stack soon to be released... that is my advice!

Quick Reply: Openions on walther PPS