Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

very confused about MD gun transport laws.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default very confused about MD gun transport laws.

Handgun:
So I can transport to and from shooting range. What defines that? The backyard at my sister's house (where we grew up) does that qualify?

But if I go get food (edit: in between range and home) ??? that doesn't count? I have a safe under the front seat that I lock it in if I'm gonna be away from it. But otherwise I leave it in the case in the back unloaded.... but that case is apparently supposed to be locked too?

WTF.

Rifle:
I was always brought up that it needs to be in plain view and unloaded. Does that mean plainview from a LEO walking up next to vehicle or while driving too?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Edge Hawk; 05-04-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those laws suck dude. You need to move to the Great State of Texas. I keep my Mossberg 500 strapped on top of my rear roll bar. CZ 52 under my passenger rear floor mat. Glock .40 cal in a holster installed at my right knee on dash. And during hunting season keep my AR-15 behind my rear seat.

That's 24/7. Glock goes with me everywhere though.

Hope someone can help you out though.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah. MD is a little "happy" in their laws.

I'm just going to a camping event next weekend, and we have to go offroad to get to the site and then we'll also shoot some guns and have a big bonfire, etc. Just want to make sure if I get stopped along the way I don't run into any trouble.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you camping in Maryland? I'm taking the Utah CCW class Sunday and it's good for 31 states (not Maryland, but it's good for all of the states surrounding Maryland). I don't know if your locked into Maryland but it maybe something to think about. I'm taking the class with Genesis Firearms.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

with maryland all you need to do is have the gun in one part of the veicle unloaded and the ammo Locked in a nother like the trunk and glove box the have to be fare enuf apart to where you cand reach both together but one is fine i keep one my hand gun in my glove box and the ammo in the trunk.

o ya you are supose to tell the cop if they pull you over that you have the firearm but i never do unless they are going to search the car/truck/Jeep
Old 05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just filled out a Maryland State "Regulated Firearms Collector" application. It is free to do. There are some benefit to having this. You can buy more than one gun a month. Another thing you will be able to do is take a gun to your friends house "to show him your collection." So pretty much you could have the gun in your car anytime and tell a cop your on your way to show part of your collection. Also maybe down the road being a "Firearm Collector" could help you get a permit.

Quick Reply: very confused about MD gun transport laws.