Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Shotgun defense storage

Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viking
ha ha no guns don't scare me it is the idiots that have there god given rights to bare arms that scares me. Most people are sane good intelligent and logical. But the the small percent should not be allowed to hold a toy gun. All this right to bare arms is out dated. It was drawn up in the time of the civil wars I believe. Not up on American History. It is not the wild west out here any more. I agree with protecting your family and home, but to have loaded guns close at hand well you might as well strap on a colt and sling a rifle over your shoulder too.
Our God give right came not from the Civil war but from the Revolution War, the one that we defeated the British. If it was an out dated idea then why are gun sales up even in a down economy? Just one question for you, when did you win your independence there in Canada? Oh wait you didn't win it, it was granted to you because you were too weak to take it for yourself. If you don't like firearms then stay out of this forum and let those of us who do talk about guns without having to deal with your stupid comments. By the way I have shot with some of your Canadian brothers who don't share your opinion; they wish they had OUR right to bear firearms.

If kids are taught about firearms and taken out shooting the curiosity goes out the window. My kids know if they find a gun to come and get me and that guns aren't to play with. I grew up with a dad who didn't believe in bb guns because he felt like kids tend not to treat them like the weapon that they are, which was confirmed back in the mid 80's when a kid in Colorado was shot in the back with a bb gun and killed. Don't remember all the details because I was about 10 when it happened. Part of owning a firearm is being responsible.

Yeah I too have had my stuff stolen. The first time the guy got away. The second time the guy got to meet my 1911 and then had a free ride to Jail and 41 counts of burglary to go along with it. I got a thank you and a hand shake from the cop that show up about 10 minutes after everything happened.

So why don't you go back to being a sheep in a world full of wolves and let the sheepdogs do their jobs.

Last edited by grumpy1; 04-23-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

It has nothing to do with the place I live in and the type of people that surround the area. I live in a nice neighborhood, but it's places like that where something is more likely to happen. Who's gonna break into some run down shack and try to steal there canned peas? I'd like to think all people have good intentions but I have my job at the hospital to remind me these things can happen to anyone and I don't think of myself as above the guy standing next to me. I have kids in my house, I don't let them shoot guns at all. I load it during the night, unload it during the day. I have sufficient training to know enough to look before shooting and researched castle laws in my state which everyone should do, especially that dumb **** on the news now shooting a kid with skittles. But I mean it just takes common sense safet laws to keep guns safe in a house with kids or if someone breaks into my house while I'm not there and won't have acces to steal a gun and use it. I lock it in a safe and keep mags in my jeep and bullets in a safe in the basement that is built into the wall. Nobody is picking that thing up and taking it anywhere, weighs about a freakin ton.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 AM
JK Freak

Before getting back to topic - Man faces charges in shooting | Local | News | St. Catharines Standard - Pretty close to home there Viking. Damn shame. Who would of thought that someone would break in with a gun, oh and a machete. Your concern for your childrens safety will shift - are you willing to wait until it's too late? PM me and I will give you a great deal on a jumbo paddle with "STOP DONT SHOOT" engraved on the handle.

Anyhow... back to shotgun storage. I recently picked up some "Piranha" Ammo from exoticammo.com after testing 00 to #4 buck on a 4" think piece of drywall with 2x2's from 20 feet(aka my apartment- hallway shot) It penetrated the wall 4-7 feet. The Piranha has a bunch of steel tacks along with a #12 shot = Not fun. Same setup, it penetrated 3 inches into the drywall and also many surface rounds. No through rounds.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

ha ha no guns don't scare me it is the idiots that have there god given rights to bare arms that scares me. Most people are sane good intelligent and logical. But the the small percent should not be allowed to hold a toy gun. All this right to bare arms is out dated. It was drawn up in the time of the civil wars I believe. Not up on American History. It is not the wild west out here any more. I agree with protecting your family and home, but to have loaded guns close at hand well you might as well strap on a colt and sling a rifle over your shoulder too.
Ugh...I can not read any farther. My apologies to the thinkers of the forum for not finishing the thread but I can't take it and this is where I quote, comment, and bail...Further objections may be forwarded to my delete folder since I am using my last bit of public civility in the following comment.

Dont' crawl though my window at o'dark thirty or kick my door in and you will be perfectly safe. *sigh* Ok I'm better for a few minutes.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

I keep my Glock .40 cal on me at all times. Got a CZ under my rear floor mat in Jeep. Got my Mossberg 500 loaded on top of my rear roll bar.

As for the house: i keep a Loaded Mossberg 500 under my gf's bed, AR loaded in closet, CZ in nightstand.

And a whole slew of guns from 30-06 to 10/22 loaded and chambered. If something was to happen, I don't want me nor my lady to have to worry about is my gun loaded. Just Safety off and point and pull trigger.

We just moved out a bad neighborhood and living in a nicer one now. Being a college town, we still heard shots in the night.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

My pumps stays right next to the bed with the bolt open and one in the breech. My semi 12 is normally on the other side of the room or right behide the door.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with you here that some people are taught proper like I assume your father did to you. I am referring to the small percent that is irresponsible to do the right thing. Kids imitate there parents in everything they do. You where brought up proper but what about the guy that just needs to feel the power of ownership just because he can. But now in this time and age, computer games are teaching are kids. The stuff we see on TV are teaching our kids. We as parents do little now to teach are kids. Its not are fault its the pier pressure. I am sorry to wast use's guy's time with my views. And this will be my last reply but when we as a society have to arm ourselves that much for protection I wonder what this side of the ocean is coming to.
You're probably not getting the respect you deserve on the matter... not that I totally agree with you... but people are a little... well... 'crazy' about their guns.... and the problem is that very few people have a level approach to the matter.. either you're with us, or against us! (right?)

I think a lot of people are very patriotic about their guns, and feel like they are doing the world a favor by having them.... and in real terms.. they are. Firearms are used FAR more often to protect than they are in crime... States with CCW laws always see a reduction in crime.. and states with strict gun control laws always see an increase in crime. but that doesn't mean that people who preach the evils of guns should be ignored.

I'm a CCW and carry every single day... even at home. I do keep a firearm next to the bed... behind the couch.. in the kitchen.. in the office.. uh... yeah.

I FULLY realize that statistically the firearms I keep, and bear are FAR, FAR more likely to hurt or kill myself, or a loved one than they are a bad guy. (how many gun lovers would mention that statistic?)

I also fully realize that guns do not just go off because they're 'evil'... There is a lot of judgement that goes into how they're stored.. drawn.. handled.. and of course.. operated... a

Storing them safely is a matter of some debate... for me; in my childless home.. Only my CCW is on a chambered round.. All firearms are out of sight.. During get-togethers... especially with children.. All but the CCW get locked away. Some time after my 1st born learns to walk.. my CCW may well be the only firearm not locked up until he is 'safe' with them... or of course under my close supervision in the mean time.

Drawing, and handling them are a matter of training... something I wish more people had, as the taboo nature of gun ownership has created a situation where a child can reach adulthood without ever touching a gun.. and then buy 12 of them... lacking the life-long education on firearm management which every child had 100 years ago... when the laws were written.

The most important part is operation. I talk to a LOT... LOT of people who are safe shooters but boast about how they'd gladly shoot an intruder without hesitation.. or joke about how they have their gun on 'em.. so don't mess with 'em! "Trigger happy" comes to mind.

In my circle of acquaintanceship the 'romance' with firearms and their power has made them all but forget what I mentioned above... They are FAR, FAR more likely to kill themselves, or a loved one with that firearm than a bad guy.

These are the idiot gun nuts who create the idiot anti-gun nuts... and they would do well to consider the value of a life...

Even if someone breaking into your house... You had better be willing to DIE before KILLING an innocent. That means that you must identify your target, and establish that they are not only a 'bad-guy' but also that they have the ability to kill you or a loved one... Maybe some people are different.. but I couldn't live with myself after killing a 22 year old who was just there to steal some of my made-in-china crap... which was insured anyhow.

And there really aren't very many guns that won't shoot thou every wall in your house on the 1st shot... an AK 47 will kill someone on the other side of a brick wall, or bullet proof glass... Even a shotgun is more powerful than you think... so consider that before killing someone in front of your daughters room.... just food for thought from one gun-nut to some others..
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 to that.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
You're probably not getting the respect you deserve on the matter... not that I totally agree with you... but people are a little... well... 'crazy' about their guns.... and the problem is that very few people have a level approach to the matter.. either you're with us, or against us! (right?)

I think a lot of people are very patriotic about their guns, and feel like they are doing the world a favor by having them.... and in real terms.. they are. Firearms are used FAR more often to protect than they are in crime... States with CCW laws always see a reduction in crime.. and states with strict gun control laws always see an increase in crime. but that doesn't mean that people who preach the evils of guns should be ignored.

I'm a CCW and carry every single day... even at home. I do keep a firearm next to the bed... behind the couch.. in the kitchen.. in the office.. uh... yeah.

I FULLY realize that statistically the firearms I keep, and bear are FAR, FAR more likely to hurt or kill myself, or a loved one than they are a bad guy. (how many gun lovers would mention that statistic?)

I also fully realize that guns do not just go off because they're 'evil'... There is a lot of judgement that goes into how they're stored.. drawn.. handled.. and of course.. operated... a

Storing them safely is a matter of some debate... for me; in my childless home.. Only my CCW is on a chambered round.. All firearms are out of sight.. During get-togethers... especially with children.. All but the CCW get locked away. Some time after my 1st born learns to walk.. my CCW may well be the only firearm not locked up until he is 'safe' with them... or of course under my close supervision in the mean time.

Drawing, and handling them are a matter of training... something I wish more people had, as the taboo nature of gun ownership has created a situation where a child can reach adulthood without ever touching a gun.. and then buy 12 of them... lacking the life-long education on firearm management which every child had 100 years ago... when the laws were written.

The most important part is operation. I talk to a LOT... LOT of people who are safe shooters but boast about how they'd gladly shoot an intruder without hesitation.. or joke about how they have their gun on 'em.. so don't mess with 'em! "Trigger happy" comes to mind.

In my circle of acquaintanceship the 'romance' with firearms and their power has made them all but forget what I mentioned above... They are FAR, FAR more likely to kill themselves, or a loved one with that firearm than a bad guy.

These are the idiot gun nuts who create the idiot anti-gun nuts... and they would do well to consider the value of a life...

Even if someone breaking into your house... You had better be willing to DIE before KILLING an innocent. That means that you must identify your target, and establish that they are not only a 'bad-guy' but also that they have the ability to kill you or a loved one... Maybe some people are different.. but I couldn't live with myself after killing a 22 year old who was just there to steal some of my made-in-china crap... which was insured anyhow.

And there really aren't very many guns that won't shoot thou every wall in your house on the 1st shot... an AK 47 will kill someone on the other side of a brick wall, or bullet proof glass... Even a shotgun is more powerful than you think... so consider that before killing someone in front of your daughters room.... just food for thought from one gun-nut to some others..
Ray, excellent thoughts and you definitely bring up some of the points that make folks see all gun owners as crazy.
For example I'm certainly glad Ted Nugent loves guns and owns his...but he also has a tendency to confuse, outrage, and muddle people outside of the group with his actions/antics.

I will say that I won't hesitate to kill someone in my house. I don't know what the difference is in my psyche or yours or anyone else's. Marine Corps training, personal beliefs, dislike of crime, old school thought processes, I dunno.
If a criminal is in my house and had to commit a crime to get in there then it's a free fire zone. Don't care if they're armed or not. I'm not going to give them a chance to show me their intentions or surprise me or whatever. They transgressed against me, mine, and society by their actions and could potentially be a deadly threat. I won't think twice about ending their existence.

I know others that feel otherwise and my gf, while having her own pistol, thinks in that situation she'd be able to "shoot to wound" effectively enough that the threat is over and the bad guy is able to be contained until police arrive.
I'm not so certain and REALLY hope she never has to find out without me being around.

Also consider that the reason many folks are annoyed with viking is his continuous trolling on threads about guns in a confrontational, condescending, insulting, and rude tone. He's not exactly bringing a fair and reasoned argument to this. More throwing poo.
Guess the mod's don't care though.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely a great post.

Lots of truth and considerable points. Glad to know a good amount of us try to see the good as well as the bad. The possibility of either exists when dealing with something as lethal as a firearm of any kind.

I definitely respect and appreciate sir viking and his opinions. It is, however, simply impossible for me to agree with his blatant interjections.

Last edited by sa29560; 05-07-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Shotgun defense storage