Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

1955 cj 3b

Old 03-04-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1955 cj 3b

This is my hobby Jeep. Bought it in 1972, completely stock except for snow plow attachments and with 26k on the odometer. It was the "shop Jeep" for a local machine shop (still in business) and for the most part, never made it out of town. Between the salt and heavy machine shop debris, the tub was pretty trashed. I drove it stock for about a year and a half and finally transplanted a not too mild 327 in it when I managed to burn a couple exhaust valves in the F head pulling a way too big trailer 600 miles. Version 2 lasted another 2 years until a crack in the bottom of the number 5 cylinder ended life for the 327. At that point I decided to do things right and did a frame off from which it emerged with glass tub, hood, and fenders, 1970 LT1 350, Muncie M20, Saginaw steering, 11" drum brakes, and full float rear D44. Version 2 was very short lived. It didn't take to many off-road trips to determine that maybe the LT1 wasn't the best engine in the rocks. Enter version 3, all the same except for engine and brakes. The replacement engine was built with all Chevy parts at 381 cid, and the B got 4 wheel discs. That occurred about 1980 or 81 and that short block is still in it. Getting a bit tired now but still there and IMO, about a perfect engine for some low speed crawling. It's replacement is currently being assembled but that's another story.

As it sits today, it's running the 381 with 10.5:1 CR, Edelbrock's Performer RPM heads, Comp Cams roller, and topped with Edelbrock's ProFlo2 EFI. Hays flywheel/clutch, Auto Gear Equipment's version of Muncie's M22 only wide ratio, Dana 18 built with a D20 case and stuffed with TeraLow gear set, Holbrook springs, full float D44 rear axle with Powr-Lock and 4.10's, d44 front axle built using R&P's housing, ARB, Reid knuckles, Dutchman chrome-molly shafts, and Scout II outers.

As bought.

Version 3 going together

More or less the current rendition but still had Rancho springs in these photos.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it!! Very nice rig.

Quick Reply: 1955 cj 3b