Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

83 CJ7 out of mothballs

Old 01-31-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 CJ7 out of mothballs

Hey guys I just bought a 2015 jku however Ive had an 83 CJ7 for nearly 20 years, I let my dad have it about 10 years back to use out in AZ where he has a lot of property and unfortunately he died in a car accident about a month ago. Anyway my mom said its been sitting for about 2-3 years without being started and now that hes gone I need to either sell it or bring it back to socal, my question is what do I need to do before attempting to start it? I figured drain all fluids and filters and install with new. Also I need to drop fuel tank to put in new sending unit because gauge hasn't worked in years while also cleaning tank of old fuel. Ive heard I might have to rebuild carb also, is this needed? Anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks

Last edited by tnlrat37; 01-31-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could help you but the wranglerforum.com may be of more use with the older jeeps. Good luck with the project! I wish I had a CJ!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the stale gas out, put fresh back in.

Change the engine oil. Other fluids wouldn't hurt to change but at least check level before operation.

Battery will likely need to be charged or changed.

That's typically it. I bet that old girl will fire right back up.

Quick Reply: 83 CJ7 out of mothballs