Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

Help with CJ-8 value

Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with CJ-8 value

A friend has asked help on valuing a CJ-8, believed to be 1982 model, inline 6, manual transmission. And it may become available for sale. It was involved in a minor crash, and has been sitting since, over 10 years. I didn't see any significant body damage, I believe there is damage underneath, could be the transmission or rear axle, I don't think the frame is bent, but I don't have the full story available.

It does have a salvage title, so if restored, it will have to go thru a title process. The engine has run, and believed to be ok. Has the hard top, which appears ok. It has sat up for 10 years or more on dirt, partially in the weather, heavily rusted underneath, the body has some small rust thru in the bed and floor pans. Tailgate is missing.

I know its hard to value something unseen, and I don't have any photos, a value range, wild guess, whatever is helpful.

Any help appreciated, I have no knowledge of CJ-8's, and with this condition I haven't a clue.

Last edited by SCouch; 06-23-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was only 27,000 CJ-8's made so they are becoming fewer and fewer. My uncle has an 86 model (last year they were made) all stock, surface rust in a few places and it is the highest package you could get at the time. It hasn't ran in 3-4 years I think but it I think with a new battery and fluids it would start up and run today. It's basically untouched. He had an offer for 15,000 for it.

But one that's a different year model, has the tailgate missing, a lot of rust, and a salvage title I'f say they are worlds apart. I'm thinking $3,500 tops only because of those things. The only reason $3,500 on the high side is because of the rarity that they are becoming and you may not find one available for a while that you are willing to pay the money for. Basically I guess what I'm trying to say is try to get it as cheap as you can lol. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Help with CJ-8 value