Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Is 4 cylinder 1997 jeep tj too weak ?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
actually' I was being a smart ass with my comment. My sarcasm failed to penetrate a few skulls. Yours being one of them......... Continue reading the thread.
NO... I caught it.Hence the laughter. My point was that someone who has been on here for as long as you have would of course get what a 4 banger is. Your comment was obviously sarcasm..

But thanks for the vote of confidence...
Old 02-17-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A little late on this post but here is my opinion..A friend of mine has an '02 with the 2.5 5spd. It has a 4 inch lift with 33 12.50s...factory 4.10 gears. The only time he wishes for a 6 is on longer trips where we are going wheeling and have to travel interstate speeds. The little 2.5 struggles to keep speed. Around town and offroad it does just fine...goes everywhere the rest of us go with v6s and I6s. Actually, offroad with the stock axles in the TJ (Dana 35 rear esp), I think the 2.5 makes them hold up better...not enough power to break things!
Old 02-17-2015, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 97 with the 4 banger. I once was on a date with a girl in the summer with the windows down. She wanted to turn on the AC since it was around 95 degrees. I told her sure if she wanted to get out and push. That describes the power in that engine.

sent from my work leash
Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, since I see so many people on here wanting one of these, I've got a deal for you! '98 TJ that I want to get rid of, was going to trade it in when I pick up my Rubi I ordered, but if a fellow Jeepster wants it, it's all yours. It's not getting any spark for some reason, so it won't start, I'll let it go pretty cheap. If you're interested, PM me and we can talk about it!

Quick Reply: Is 4 cylinder 1997 jeep tj too weak ?