Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Tank skids.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know anything about the Rugged Ridge skid? Looks just like Warn's skid but can be had shipped for less than $240. I'm actively shopping for a replacement as my factory one is molested beyond hope. FWIW I really like the Rokmen skid that gives you an extra 1.5" tuck but will come at a much higher price. No idea if any of the others add any clearance.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BFYTW
Anyone know anything about the Rugged Ridge skid? Looks just like Warn's skid but can be had shipped for less than $240. I'm actively shopping for a replacement as my factory one is molested beyond hope. FWIW I really like the Rokmen skid that gives you an extra 1.5" tuck but will come at a much higher price. No idea if any of the others add any clearance.
Save your money.... buy a hammer and pound it out. The aftermarket skid will look exactly like the one you already have after a few trips. The aftermarket gas tank skid is worthless!!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Save your money.... buy a hammer and pound it out. The aftermarket skid will look exactly like the one you already have after a few trips. The aftermarket gas tank skid is worthless!!
x2, the OE skid works just about as well as anything else. Unless it's completely trashed, I'd straighten it up and save the coin
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the Rock Hard skid on mine and eventually took it off. I just run the OEM now. Yes, it is all bashed up, but with the plastic tank, it does no harm. Capacity does not seem effected.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. Seems these companies would catch a lot of flack if these (tougher than stock) pans still bent up like the stock cover. Worst part of mine is the rear lip is bent up. I could def beat it back out. Just thought these aftermarket jobs would be tougher.

I do have a few bad gashes in the bottom but they aren't causing a leak.

Quick Reply: Tank skids.