Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Budget XJ lift?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget XJ lift?

Looking for budget XJ lift options. It will be going on a 2001 XJ thats used 80% on road 20% off road. Just enough to give a little bit of lift and can fit a little bigger tire, nothing to high that will require line extensions and that kind of stuff.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

I did a rubicon express lift on my dads xj years back. I did the cheapest 3.5 lift they had it was around $400. Didn't flex super great but rode good and fit 32's real nice. No new lines and didn't need to drop tcase any so
Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone else?
Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Budget XJ

Why dont you start with a tire size you want to run, first... I personally would look at the Cooper ATP's and a 3" lift with good shocks... I run 31.5"s on my v8 WJ (3" net, OME/ARB springs, 5100s, IRO track bars and links, Stillen Brakes) and was really impressed on the rocks and loose dirt.

I was looking for an XJ to wheel when my JK started getting rediculous to strap myself into daily- even started collecting parts. Ended up building a WJ for daily driving and going full retard on the JK.

I have a set of never-out-of-the-box 5100's for the front for a 3.5" lift I would sell cheap. Ad a set of Thunderbird Supercoupe springs (Droopy with 3" net lift) and your into the coils/struts for less than $110. The rear gives you more options, and I would look at some lifted S10 springs and maybe even softer shocks. Would feel great on road. Heres some other budget shit you can do:

Suspension & Lift:
-Front End:
1.ZJ V8 Upcountry Coils = 1-1.5" lift
2.F-150/Bronco Coils ('70s-ish) = 4-4.5" lift
3.Camaro Spring Isolators = 1.5" lift
4.ZJ spring isolators = stronger, metal core, can be stacked
5.Thunderbird Front Coils ('83-97) = 3-4" lift (varies in lift and softness by year and trim package), will need top plate from strut too
6.TJ Lift Coils (front only) = provide 1" less lift on an XJ than on a TJ
-Rear End:
1.Bastard Pack: Any 2.5" wide leaf spring can be used between to make a bastard pack (they may differ in stiffness and lift) i.e. S10, Dakota
2.MJ Shackles = 1/2" lift
3.GM fullsize pickup shackles ('95-99) = 1.5" lift, better shackle angle
-Misc:
1.JK shocks = slight mod to fit 2-4" lift (must be from JK Rubicon, BPEs are not required, you need to press out the metal sleeves from the JK shocks, and insert the XJ stock bar pins to the axle-side part of the front shocks, and the body-side of the rear shocks.)
2.S10 Shocks (Rear only) = good for the lift you will get when you do a bastard pack
3.Ford Exploder rear sway-bar links = may be good for 3-4" lift
4.WJ rear sway bar end-links = minor fab to fit 3-4" lift
5.WJ LCA's = more tire clearance (some grinding required)
6.WJ rear LCA's = replace XJ front LCA's, 2" longer to accommodate a lift, some grinding required
7.V8 ZJ front sway-bar
8.JK rear UCA = use as XJ LCA, its about 1-2" longer
9.Ford Bonco II (thats the little one like a ranger) Front Swaybar = good for 3-4" lift

Brakes:
-Booster, MC, etc:
1.WJ brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve
2.ZJ brake booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve = may need for disc conversion
3.XJ '95+ brake booster and master cylinder = dual diaphragm, larger bore
4.WJ Rotors/Calipers = bigger brakes and more stopping power (will fit 15" rims)
5.KJ disc brake set-ups can be used for a conversion on your XJ axle
-Lines:
1.YJ Brake Lines = 3-4" longer
2.Dakota Rear Softlines ('87-96) = 6" longer
3.GM C/K1500 Front Softlines ('90-95) = 6" longer
4.Dodge Ram Van Brake Lines = 10-12" longer (for big lifts), some dispute
5.5.JK Front Brake Lines = bolt-in and long (can max out 12" shocks and still have slack)

Axles:
-Bolt-in Swap:
1.XJ C8.25 Rear ('97+) = bolt in and upgrades to 29 spline (strength comparable to D44)
2.XJ D44 Rear = found in some but not all '87-'89 XJ's with Towing Package
3.XJ D30 Front = ('95-'99) non-disconnect, larger u-joints, high pinion
4.XJ I-4 & some V6 = may have 3.73, 4.10, or 4.56 gears may have vacuum discos
-Moderate Fab to Fit:
1.Ford 8.8 inch Rear ('97+) = need spring & shock mounts (3.55, 3.73, or 4.10, maybe LSD, Disc Brakes)
2.MJ D44 Rear = need new spring perches and shock mounts
3.MJ AMC 20 Rear = need spring perches and shock mounts
4.Ford HP44/9" Combo = full width, more intense fab
-Misc:
1.Lincoln Lockers = welded spider gears, operates like a spool, must be a GOOD welder
2.G80 LSD locker from '90s Turbo Volvo with D30 rear for XJ front D30 (beware with larger tires)
3.Homebrew posi-locks for '84-90 vacuum disconnect D30s, eliminates vacuum actuation
4. ZJ D30 CV shafts can be used in place of XJ u-joint shafts in '92+ D30's

Steering:
1.ZJ V8 Tierods = beefier & bolt in
2.WJ Knuckles/Tierods/Draglinks = beefier and crossover steering
3.Durango Steering Box = beefier
4.GM 2wd fullsize truck steering box = beefy, helps for wb stretch
5.Astro Van steering box = good for long wb stretch
6.ZJ pitman arm = 1 inch drop over stock
7.WJ power steering pump (fits '96+, plug return hole, and use XJ pulley)

Engine:
-Performance:
1.Newer XJ intakes (may require some modification)
2.Mustang 5.0 Injectors = near bolt in (have 4 holes instead of 1, more fuel, better spray)
3.Dodge Neon Injectors = better throttle response
4. Stroker Motor......SEARCH
-Alternator:
1.Mopar 136Amp Alternator, bolt it (slight grinding required) found in: 97-98 Dodge Full Size Van, 97-1998 Dodge Dakota, 97-98 Dodge Durango, 97-98 Dodge Ram, 97-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2. Dakota (2.5L I-4) Alternator = bolt in, upgrades to 117A
-Cooling:
1.Ford Electric Fan ('90-95 3.8L Taurus, '87-93 5.0L Mustang) = replaces mechanical fan, more cooling (8C607)
2.Hoodvents (i.e. Lebaron, Laser, Turbo Thunderbird etc.) = help keep ur 4.0 cool at low speeds
3.You can convert the closed system to open without replacing your radiator by using the fill cap from a 4.7 durango or dakota, cutting it into your upper hose, and replace your bottle with an MJ overflow tank or any that fit. Then cap off or eliminate the T'ed lines in the heater core.
-Swaps:
1.For '84-'86 XJ with 2.8L GM V6 only! you can swap in any 60* GM V6 engine, they use the same motor mounts and bellhousings, engine options include 3.1L, and 3.4L etc, but DOES NOT INCLUDE 90* GM V6 engines such as the 4.3L!!! this swap will allow you to gain horsepower, torque, and fuel injection

Transmission:
1.ZJ and WJ stock tranny coolers with stacked plates (even an upgrade for us with the stock fin style)
2.'94+ V6 Dakota AX-15 = bolt in (but must use XJ bellhousing), good upgrade from AX-5
3. Renix Transmission (swap electric speedo to t-case)

Transfer Case:
1.'89+ AX-15 5spd crossmembers give 3/4 inch t-case drop on autos with no loss in ground clearance
2.Homebrew Slip Yoke Eliminator (use search function)
3.NV241-OR (from TJ Rubicon only) = near bolt in, 4:1 low range
4.Doubler Options : NP231/NP231, NP231/D300

Body/Exterior/Armor:
1.XJ '97+ doors onto older cherokees = one piece windows and better mirrors
2.’97+ mirrors are direct bolt in to older XJ's and allow you to fold them in on tight trails.
3.GM power antennas replace your broken XJ's with little modification
4.'96-00 Ford Explorer hatch shocks = lift your hatch about 3" lower but are beef (ever see one that doesn't work?) need modification for '97+
5.TJ Fender Flares (front and rear or rear all the way around)
6.Wheels from XJ, ZJ, TJ, YJ, Explorer, Magnum Steelies (17x7) (any with 5x4.5 bolt pattern) will fit....CJ, WJ, WK, KK, JK, Full-Size Ford 5 bolt rims will NOT fit
7.OEM swing-out tire carriers, get the bumper with it, found mainly on '84-'90 XJ's
8.ZJ skid plates = require slight modification, but can be made to work
9.OEM skid plates (Front, Tranny, T-case, gas tank, found on "up-country" package XJ's not the same as a Country Edition)
10.YJ/TJ Mirrors = bigger, fold in, look cool
11. Ford Windstar Hatch Struts = lift high and strong
12. Bronco II swing out tire carrier - slight mod to fit via S10 Shackles (see post 418 or http://i51.tinypic.com/2uhpso4.jpg)

Interior:
1.MJ/2 Door XJ Bucket seats = tilt forward, near bolt in
2.XJ overhead console = most commonly found in '00-01 or higher trim level, provides space for switches etc.
3.'97+ center console = can be made to fit '96 and older, gives you cupholders
4.Grand Cherokee center console lid = sits higher, but gives rear passengers cupholders
5.ZJ and WJ Seats - get brackets too, may require some drilling but gives you leather :-)
6. ZJ shift knob, direct replacement for XJ knob

Quick Reply: Budget XJ lift?