Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Grand cherokee Recall Notice just came today!!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grand cherokee Recall Notice just came today!!

Just got a recall notice for my 1994 Grand Cherokee in regards to rear end collisions possibly causing fires. Like most others, I knew this recall notice was coming. The recall states that Jeep will put a stock trailer hitch on my Grand Cherokee at no charge. Unfortunately they do not have the parts yet to take care of all the Grand Cherokees being recalled and they will send another notice once the parts are in.

Now, here is my question that I would like input from others on the forum. If Chrysler is taking responsibility and doing this recall, is it right just to put a hitch on the Jeep and let it go down the road? Or do you think that if Chrysler is installing the hitch, they should make your vehicle tow ready by installing the 4 pin wiring harness also. It's kind of like pouring cereal and not having milk. I've never seen a factory install a hitch and not have the proper trailer wiring so you can legally tow. Any vehicle you purchase with the hitch installed from the factory will be properly wired.

Let me know your opinions. And i'm just assuming that Chrysler is only installing the hitch. Maybe they are doing the harness also.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since they're installing the hitch as a 'skid plate' for lack of better words, don't let it surprise you if they do just the hitch. You'll probably get more educated responses from Cherokee specific forums where those guys are on top of it and may even have access to the actual tech bulletin of what to fix, how long it'll pay, and what's covered.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

The problem is rear end collision related, adding a wiring harness won't help with that issue so why would they.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atlacatl
The problem is rear end collision related, adding a wiring harness won't help with that issue so why would they.
My thought is they are putting on a trailer hitch which allows you to tow. But they are not completing the job that makes it legal for you to tow. Since it is collision related, why not stick a solid crashbar under the bumper and not a hitch. People that want to put a hitch can then unbolt the crash bar and replace with a hitch.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

That's a very good point about the wiring harness . Their legal team might be chewing it over as we speak . Still, the hitch will be useful for racks , bike carriers , etc . To cover their assets for the harness issue , maybe the receiver opening will be plugged , as its function is the crashbar , not the tow function. Stay tuned .
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surf City Dan
Since it is collision related, why not stick a solid crashbar under the bumper and not a hitch. People that want to put a hitch can then unbolt the crash bar and replace with a hitch.
The hitch is already designed and known to fit- there would be more cost involved with going to a bolt on crash bar.

It's all a numbers game for them. Save money......bottom line.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

It is my understanding that they will be using the Mopar hitch ; if the vehicle has a Mopar already installed , good to go ; if a previously installed hitch is not a Mopar, it will be removed and replaced with the Mopar one . Good Dumpster pickings. !
Old 03-27-2015, 10:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be happy you're getting a free hitch that others paid $300 for. The wiring is $20 at eTrailer.

Quick Reply: Grand cherokee Recall Notice just came today!!