Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Grand Cherokee WJ common problems?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Cherokee WJ common problems?

I'm considering getting into a grand Cherokee with a v8. Does anyone know much about the engine/drivetrain?. I would probably go for a 90's body style. I'm looking for a v8 to get some extra hp in the sand. I do realize the WJ is somewhat limited on tire size and flex because of the fenders, it just seems like it's a low initial investment so I could spend more on upgrades. Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the 6 Cylinder, bullet proof. The V8 limited had major issues with Blend door problems, and the motors. You can put 31's on with a lift

Oh, and this is a JK forum so don't expect a lot of Info. Go over to Jeep Forum they have a sub section for the WJ

Last edited by BucYouUp68; 06-03-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a WK and a ZJ, both with the V8. The bigger Jeep is just so nice with a V8, but then again I'd prefer my JK to have a V8 too.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You dont WANT the six...

But with 4.11's it will work.

Biggest problems:

A/C system on the DUAL CLIMATE CONTROL models... the dealer will charge you $2,500 or so for blend door, recirc door, and the blower motor resistor fix. Do them yourself and it costs you $150 or so TOTAL.

The spring isolators compress, $100 to CROWN and youll restore 1" of ride hieght

Transfer case linkage will seize up and not let you shift it, spray some lube from below and let the cable and bushings soak

The transmission could really use a $55 SONNIX line pressure mod

The rear suspension has a wierd A arm up top that's bushing likes to crap out

Try and find a 02-up if you will lift it more than 2.5" as it has the better front driveshaft

Do not use aftermarket plugs

Make sure you swaop the TCASE fluid with real 247/242 fluid, and put some limited-slip lubricant in the differentials if it is churping in the parkinglots

Replace your rear sway bar ASAP with a ADDCO or HOTCHKIS unit

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokee WJ common problems?