Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Jeep J10 please help! Im a girl....

Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep J10 please help! Im a girl....

Okay so I've just got a jeep j10 1982, my issues are...1. Where can I find parts for it (gas tank, new seats, interior things, etc.) 2. It won't start...when you turn the key it rolls over but won't start...could be gas tank right? Or battery? 3. My uncle bought a new gas tank for it when he had and put it on himself then let the truck sit there for months not messing with it...could it be that he hooked it up wrong? Or if I need a new tank where can I find one thats not extremely pricey
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Not to be blunt, but this is a JK Fourm....

That's a lot to diagnose on one post. I'd say if it sat for a while and doesn't kick over, you have separated fuel. Depending on how long, you might need to drain it. Also it should have a carb and that'll have to be cleaned out real good. Try they and make sure oil/ coolant is good. You can always throw some starter fluid in the carb to help.

I'd focus of getting it running before looking for parts.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

first make sure its got gas to the carburetor, remove the air cleaner and look down the carb, (keep your face back- not to close ) with your hand work the throttle , it will spray gas , if that works then check for spark- remove one spark plug wire and either use another spark plug - the plug you unhooked or a screwdriver , hook the wire to the loose plug ,lay the plug on the engine (metal to metal) so it grounds then turn over the engine while looking for a spark at the plug ..
you really need someone who knows what they're doing to supervise you, ,because its easy to get hurt when your learning
please be carefull .
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Disregard reply
Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

I know that this isn't the correct forum but there really are no jeep truck forums cause there not popular since there pretty rare and old. Especially the one I have...I've contacted jeep and they don't even make parts for it anymore won't even point me to a mechanic in the us that knows anything about it which is quit dumb...? Lol sorry to bug ya pal. I've already put new fuel in and drained it. Didn't work my dad is set on a new fuel tank. Is why I asked about parts also. I know that it will run its not just a piece of crap, my uncle did drive it for awhile it was after the fuel tank that he screwed it up sooo yes I need to explore my options on parts so ill know where to go for them it's planning ahead. In case he messed up something. Ill try all these things as soon as I can . Thank you everyone for your time
Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jadethespade47
I know that this isn't the correct forum but there really are no jeep truck forums cause there not popular since there pretty rare and old. Especially the one I have...I've contacted jeep and they don't even make parts for it anymore won't even point me to a mechanic in the us that knows anything about it which is quit dumb...? Lol sorry to bug ya pal. I've already put new fuel in and drained it. Didn't work my dad is set on a new fuel tank. Is why I asked about parts also. I know that it will run its not just a piece of crap, my uncle did drive it for awhile it was after the fuel tank that he screwed it up sooo yes I need to explore my options on parts so ill know where to go for them it's planning ahead. In case he messed up something. Ill try all these things as soon as I can . Thank you everyone for your time
I would check the coil first, distributor second, and the fuel pump third.... As for parts, talk to the "CJ" guys and they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Or post your questions on the "Wrangler Forum" and someone there is bound to be able to help out.

Also, did it run after he changed the tank.
If not it could be as simple as a pinched fuel line.

Last edited by Changing Gears; 07-21-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

I can't offer any advice other than what was written. But Sgt slaughter ova hea has got some set. Just someone looking for any kind of advise and has to throw in that this is a JK forum, who cares its a jeep question...
Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Saharainbx
I can't offer any advice other than what was written. But Sgt slaughter ova hea has got some set. Just someone looking for any kind of advise and has to throw in that this is a JK forum, who cares its a jeep question...
Damn Right :thumb:
Old 07-21-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Saharainbx
Right? Lol any advice at all is good I've posted in other forums and so far this one is the most helpful!! I appreciate those who have givin the best advice that they can ima try whatever I can another thing I added gas to it and it leaked out...I'm thinking ima have to have the tank reinstalled I don't think he installed it properly
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Well if it won't start .... It sounds like its in need of a 514 stroker engine awsomeness

Quick Reply: Jeep J10 please help! Im a girl....