Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Rocking the new Eco diesel

Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THUMPER450
So far met or exceeded my expectations !
27 mpg at 75 miles per hour , far from broke in.
HERE WE GO
So using the mpg's for both the GC and the JKU both with the 3.6L as a reference, on the Wrangler this would be about 23 mpg. Damn, I'd take that over the 16 I'm getting now.

I honestly don't know why Chrysler/Fiat will not use this motor on the JK and JKU, my only guess at this point is price considering that a fully loaded JKUR with an EcoDiesel would probably be over $50k. Anyone know what the bump in price is for the 3.0 EcoDiesel on the GC?
Old 06-01-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by holy_crap
So using the mpg's for both the GC and the JKU both with the 3.6L as a reference, on the Wrangler this would be about 23 mpg. Damn, I'd take that over the 16 I'm getting now. I honestly don't know why Chrysler/Fiat will not use this motor on the JK and JKU, my only guess at this point is price considering that a fully loaded JKUR with an EcoDiesel would probably be over $50k. Anyone know what the bump in price is for the 3.0 EcoDiesel on the GC?
Our loaded limited with Luxury Package, and Off-road 2 Adventure package with air suspension listed at $51K but got it around $45K. The torque can snap your neck back!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

The diesel is a $4500 add on , on all GC.
At least mine was
Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

+1 for 4500 add on. I opted for the 4x2 this time (since I already have a Wrangler). Rated towing is 7500lbs and 420ft lb of torque.

I'm finding if I don't keep steady pressure on the elongated pedal, do like a press and release type i get a regular 32MPG. Granted I only have 2300 miles and had it since July but but love it so far.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

I spoke with a Chrysler rep last weekend at a vehicle press event. After driving the GC Eco Diesel they had there I asked him (jokingly) when they're putting it in the Wrangler since I don't think the pentastar is that impressive. He said he was right there with me in wanting to do that, but everything he's heard from execs is that the Wrangler sells like hot cakes as it is, why invest more money to change it; that would make the profit margin fall.

But who knows; I know I'm hoping, but not holding my breath.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I spoke to a vendor who seemed to be very certain that the diesel will go in the 2016 model Wrangler towards the end of production. He said it would not be offered until the second half or later in production because they will be offering them in the new JL Wrangler starting in 2017 model. Jeep will begin getting things ready to produce the new model so the engine will be ready late in the 16 models.

Quick Reply: Rocking the new Eco diesel