Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Too bad XJ''s aren't water proof!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too bad XJ''s aren't water proof!

This is my best friends XJ! We were down in a local gravel pit, but do to all of the rain we have been having it was under water and he though he would put his snorkel to the test. The snorkel did it's job, but the electronics failed! pics were taken 7-30-07. The location was around Lake Whitney Texas!

The jeep seems to be alright now, after all of the electronics dried out. His tranny seems to have some water in it, so he will be doing a tranny service.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Ouch! Awesome pics though. I did something similiar with my 88 XJ.... I didnt have any problems though. No matter what I did, I couldnt kill that one. I sold it with 285,000 on it.... still regret it... The guy I sold it to still has it and hasn't needed a rebuild, although the BA-10 5 speed finally puked. Last I heard he had 360,000 on it. The '95 XJ I had got swamped once, and not nearly as bad and I started having electrical problem about 6 months later. Everything was starting to corrode... It seemed like every week I was changing a switch or a sensor or a relay......
Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bly109
Ouch! Awesome pics though. I did something similiar with my 88 XJ.... I didnt have any problems though. No matter what I did, I couldnt kill that one. I sold it with 285,000 on it.... still regret it... The guy I sold it to still has it and hasn't needed a rebuild, although the BA-10 5 speed finally puked. Last I heard he had 360,000 on it. The '95 XJ I had got swamped once, and not nearly as bad and I started having electrical problem about 6 months later. Everything was starting to corrode... It seemed like every week I was changing a switch or a sensor or a relay......
Agreed. That's why I like some of the older jeeps; not as many electronics to deal with. I'm thinking on getting a snorkel for mine ('87), but don't know who to go with. Safari or Airflow.
dpgoffroad.com/airflowsnorkels.htm
Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

I definitely miss that '88. It was very solid all around, except for the tranny. I'd still have it, if my Dad didn't make me sell it... it sat in his yard for a year or so! I guess I can't blame him! I moved out of the area and only had an apartment with no where to park it. I had all kinds of plans for that one. I love our new JK, but I'll always have a soft spot for XJs.

Good luck with the snorkel.

Quick Reply: Too bad XJ''s aren't water proof!