Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Garage lighting

Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage lighting

Trying to decide what kind of lighting to put into the garage. Currently there is just the 1 single builder grade bulb in the middle of a two car garage. Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 or 4 LED four foot shop lights. Currently have fluorescents and will eventually change to LED's.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Depends on size of garage but, mine is a three stall.

In the two "standard" side I have one 4' fluorescent running length wise above each car and one 4' cross ways in front of each car to throw light onto the engine.

My third stall is 32' long. On this side I'm running 8' fluorescents cross ways for light up front in the "shop" part. I'm kinda anal about lighting since I work mid's. I have a pull down shop light above the "hood" area in the third stall.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run T-5 T-Bays in my two car. Each one has 6-4' T-5 HO lamps (850K) and then I have 1 single lamp T-5HO (850k) on each wall. It's day light in there and no need for a drop light under the Jeep thanks to the wall lights
Old 10-10-2015, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B_Alvie
Trying to decide what kind of lighting to put into the garage. Currently there is just the 1 single builder grade bulb in the middle of a two car garage. Thoughts?
The cheapest way would be three 4' or 8' fluorescent lights, single or double bulbs (yellowish or daylight, not blueish), along the vehicles.
One between the 2 vehicles, the other 2 between each vehicle and the side wall.
Those with wide reflectors would spread the light wider and more evenly.

LED lights may be better, but cost more.

Last edited by GJeep; 10-11-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B_Alvie
What size is the garage?

Run a 8' on outside walls and a 8' down the middle.

if you have the room a 8' in front of the cars and one in the back - run these on a different switch when you really need them.

Can never have enough lights.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

I went from a single light bulb to 86,000 lumens in 7 quad flourescents...

Some thoughts:

Not the best photo.. I have never really taken photos of the lights themselves - lol

-The flourescents can take a bit to warm up in the cold - but the reason I went with them instead of LEDs is it gives me the ability to change the K that the light are at. I personally cannot stand "blue" tinted light (i.e. above 5600k (for my eyes). With flourescents I can buy bulbs of the temperature I want and get the color of light I want.

-Wiring: I use 4 sets of switches. one for the light over the bench, and then my lights are in 3 sets of rows. I can just turn on what I need.

Island light only:

- There is no such thing as "too much light". Better to have too much and turn on what you need than all of it on and you still can't see. Make it so you can turn on as much as you need. When I'm working at my bench at midnight I don't have to worry about shadows if I light the entire thing up... as good as working in the day.

old photo: middle of the night

When I drop a valve shim into the bike - I can see it!

Hope this helps.
cheers,
Ed
Old 11-26-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Went with this solution. Added 4 LED floods and 1 single 120 equivalent light in the center. Completely solved the problem for $10 light socket and $20 in lights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1003043226.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	661668  
Old 12-03-2016, 01:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

My lighting is old by today's standards. A couple two tube florescents for general lighting, and then several halogen light assemblies over specific work spaces. I'd definitely go with something more energy efficient if replacing it. If you use your garage for any kind of shop work, then task lighting is important. Even in the daytime (unless you have some nicely placed windows).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage, Feb 08, 9267.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	662061

Oh, the answer to that question that you have: It's a 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am and the other is a telescope. :-)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a bunch of 4 foot LED shop lights from Costco for $20 a piece.

Quick Reply: Garage lighting