Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Hard Top hoist....

Old 03-07-2015, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top hoist....

So I finally moved and I have a place that has a garage. Its not a big garage but big enough for the JKU to squeeze into. This is year 2 with Betty and last summer I never was able to take the Hardtop off because I had no place to put it. Now I have storage and can hoist it off. However I was curious....how do you guys do it? Can I see some pics, get some advice, some pointers maybe.....please

Thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am making my own hoist. My thought is to over build it. Extra strong everywhere.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

How do you build your own? I need an automatic one, not manual.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKMedicPA
So I finally moved and I have a place that has a garage. Its not a big garage but big enough for the JKU to squeeze into. This is year 2 with Betty and last summer I never was able to take the Hardtop off because I had no place to put it. Now I have storage and can hoist it off. However I was curious....how do you guys do it? Can I see some pics, get some advice, some pointers maybe.....please

Thanks
This is what I did and have zero regrets:
Robot Check

You tube video of it (not mine). I have a JKU and it works just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRk9o3RmXeo I leave my top attached to the lift and I pull in so the top sits over the hood with no issues.

Last edited by brian1967graham; 03-16-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep hoist.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	601720 a couple ratchet straps and 4 eye bolts does the trick.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

I got the Lange Originals from Quadratec with the manual hoist $199.00, then bought a 1500 lb 120v electric winch from Harbor Freight $149.00. I did it this way because the electric hoist version is only good for 400lbs. With the 1500 lb winch, I can use it to lift the front end of my Riding Tractor or my Kubota to do maintenance on the mower decks
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by campermac
I got the Lange Originals from Quadratec with the manual hoist $199.00, then bought a 1500 lb 120v electric winch from Harbor Freight $149.00. I did it this way because the electric hoist version is only good for 400lbs. With the 1500 lb winch, I can use it to lift the front end of my Riding Tractor or my Kubota to do maintenance on the mower decks
That's a really smart idea
Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

So I have started that garage project and the first thing that I did was put up the door hangers. I have a small garage that the JKU just fits into and I have just enough room to get around it. So I am making due with what I have. So this is the write up for the door hangers.

(Forgive my I was like 1/4 the way into this when I thought you know what I should do a write up on this.)

So on the back of my wall I have a framed wall that separates another apartments garage. They are just framed out 2x4's. The hangers are a ladder hanger from HomeDepot. If you chose these make sure that you get the ones that have the mounting screws taped to them.

1 I got a 2x8 and a 2x4 from the hardware store. The 2x8 I had cut into 14 inch pieces and then the 2x4 I just cut at home. I centered the 2x8 on the joist, and cut the 2x4 to the width of the 2x8 (so like what 7inches or something like that) The 2x4's were screwed into the joist on the side (for extra support and to stop wobbling) The 2x8 was then screwed into the joist and the 2x4's. The 2x4's were screwed in with 2 1/2 deck screws and the 2x8 was 3 inch deck screws.

They are spaced out 10 inches from the top screw to the next top screw. This isn't a big deal since the doors are obviously hung close together since they are hung with the windows down.

2 Next what I did was I had a round stock that was about an inch and a half in diameter. I don't know how long it was cute because I eye balled it while the doors were hung. It was placed to keep the front door from resting against the rear door. I chose the round because then I could put a pool noodle around it for padding. I also cut a notch out in it as shown so I could screw it into the 2x4 joist easily.

I only gave it enough room to just barely not rest against the rear door. I didn't want it to be a crazy angle that it was hanging at.

After that I repeated it for the other 2 doors and then hung them and went for a drive! I am thinking about replacing the foam on the hangers with pool noodle since I have more than enough to do so with....I haven't noticed any damage to the window trim on the doors.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

So I finally was able to have some free time and finish this project, and then I noted that I did not take a lot of pictures. I honestly just want to get it finished. So I will just explain what I did which seems to be what everyone else did.

I got some 2x4's 71 inches a piece and then put them in the ceiling using regular deck screws (theres about a screw every 10 inches) Theres one 2x4 in front the front of the top and then one for the back. Also in the 2x4 into the joist are some open eye bolts with lock and tackle attached to them, obviously one on each corner. I used 3/8th nylon rope with a working weight of 114lbs and a shock load of about 300lbs. Along the back wall of my garage there is a framed out wall. I cut a 2x4 in half vertically this was to fill the gap the 2x8 would leave. So there is a 2x8 the wide of the joist void, thats screwed into 2 halved 2x4's and then everything is screwed into the joist. There is a harbor freight hand winch that is attached to the 2x8, above the hand winch there is a eye bolt in the ceiling that brings all of the ropes together and to the winch hook. There is no anti reverse on the winch which I did not know until after I bought it, got it home, and had it all put together. There is a clutch system on it thought that will not allow it to unwind. I am not a man that trust things like that. I took a boat cleat and screwed it into the top of the 2x8 took some extra rope and tied it to the winch hook and after I winch the top off, I pull the slack out of the rope and secure it to the boat cleat. While at harbor freight I bought some of their cheap ratchet straps and cut an appropriate amount off and then cut the hooks off of one end and tied them to the other, this is what I need use to support the top to the winch rope. I feed it through the passenger side and out the back window along the sides of the top. Works good. The longest I have had the top hanging is 2 weeks and there was no issues at all!

Now my next project is to figure out a way to get the freedom top panels hanging on the wall!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKMedicPA

Thanks
Check out the "Harkin Hoist" the best 130$ you will ever spend 2 hour install, 1 arm to hoist it and it auto locks....simple

cheers

Quick Reply: Hard Top hoist....