Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

King of the Hammers: An Extreme Jeep Build for the Races!

Old 01-24-2016, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation King of the Hammers: An Extreme Jeep Build for the Races!

When I say Extreme I mean Extreme Barbie Jeep Races! Yeah you heard me right this year will be the first ever Jeep Asylum versus JK-Forum Extreme Barbie Jeep race at the King of the Hammers.

So with the Barbie Jeep race date rapidly approaching it was time to get down to business and build up the winning rig! As some of you have probably guessed you can't just pull your kid's Barbie Jeep out of the garage and race it and expect to win. The following are some of the builds for team JK-Forum.

Unlimited Class

From the time the Extreme Barbie Jeep Races were announced AMCJeff was "all over it!" Having the skills needed to build a bad ass rig and the competitive fire in his belly Jeff build one bad ass Barbie Jeep for the race.

First he had to get rid of the weak components like the stock rivets on steering replacing them with nuts and bolts. Then he used 1/4’’ washer cut and welded them to the spindle for added strength. Next he replaced plastic seat w plywood and cheep leather. Added washers to steering shaft. Cheap scrap square stock welded to strengthen frame. Custom spacers made for rear wheels to remove engine. and extra hose clamps to help hold body to frame. The following pics show his build up.

Our friend AMCJeff building up his rig for the Unlimited Class of the Extreme Barbie Jeep Races

Remember safety first boys and girls

To be a speed demon you need to have a solid steering setup so Jeff made one

If you want to run with the big boys you need a beefy subframe and Jeff has it!

Can't have parts falling off when you're racing so Jeff reinforced his wheels and hubs

Now that's sweet! Good luck at the races!

Chris has big plans for her build and when your husband is Rick is a rock star at the SEMA show you know it's gonna be cool. No instructions with this one Chris!

Rick Primeau owner of Primo Customs and master artist no stock plastic jeep was going to work for Rick's wife!

Lots of flames to match their JK...besides we all know flames add horsepower on muscle cars so it has to help with Barbie Jeeps!

Now that's sweet as it gets

Attention to detail is a trade mark of every artist and Rick is no exception...next time you are at the SEMA show stop by and see Rick he's usually making magic in one of the booths

While they still have a bit of work to get her back together we know that Chris will be running the sweetest of the Barbie Jeep Builds!
[

Stock Class

While I'll be doing the stock class (versus the Unlimited) there are some things that need to be addressed in order to be able to race the jeep at the upcoming King of the Hammers. First and foremost you need to realize the Barbie Jeeps have portal type wheel motors which will limit your speed in the race and get you more laughs than distance on the course.

Our Donor rig

Drive gear will slow you down!

Remove the wheel to expose the drive gears mounted to each of the rear wheels

If you want to reuse the jeep you'll need to use a soldering iron to remove the contectors to each motor, otherwise simply cut each wire and discard

The entire wire harness isn't used and can be removed

Rollbars and seat aren't needed either...I know offroad + racing = protection but I'll take my chances

This is about all you need to modify the jeep

One thing you'll need to do is to secure the wheels with 7/16" Axle Push Nuts! Got these from Lowes but most hardware stores should have them.

Press the Axle Push Nuts on to secure the wheels

Barbie Jeep cleaned out and ready for some winning!

Stickered up and ready to represent

You look M A R V E L O U S! Now time to get my Living Will in order and grab a helmet for the race!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/soca...racing-328699/

JK-Forum Camp & Info Thread Information here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/soca...2016-a-329406/

[/SIZE]

Some of the other member builds

[SIZE=3]We had to use a gigantic shoe horn but we seemed to fit Bill (Desert Jeep) into a Barbie Jeep

Desert Jeep obviously had some big changes in mind for his build

Now that makes sense it's a Desert Jeep Mini-Me!

Last edited by sm_rubi; 01-28-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:11 AM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front page news!

Great stuff! We'll definitely be following along on the front page...
Behind the Build: Extreme Barbie Jeeps - JK-Forum
Old 06-02-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

This is just plain AWESOME!
Glad I came across it, great pics!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Great pics i did the barbie jeep race here up in HSORV in hotsprings it was a blast

Quick Reply: King of the Hammers: An Extreme Jeep Build for the Races!