Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Snow clearance question

Old 01-01-2017, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow clearance question

I just got a 2014 2 door JK. I live in a few feet of snow and do fine up to a foot or so. But I want to go play in multiple feet of snow. I've been hesitating about lifting the Jeep (because I'm not sure if a 3" lift is enough to clear multiple feet of snow) Does anyone on here live in multiple feet of snow that could give some advice on what would help; a lift, tires, etc. Thanks in advanced.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I haven't been in really deep snow, just the type that airing down to ~10 psi was good enough. A quick related story: Last winter in your general area (Eastern Oregon) the Jeep in front of me got tangled up with part of a fallen tree that was hidden beneath the snow. It was caught real good in the front suspension and steering, almost ripped a brake line. Had to use a hand saw to free the Jeep -- Love that hand saw!

Old 01-02-2017, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by McMullet
I just got a 2014 2 door JK. I live in a few feet of snow and do fine up to a foot or so. But I want to go play in multiple feet of snow. I've been hesitating about lifting the Jeep (because I'm not sure if a 3" lift is enough to clear multiple feet of snow) Does anyone on here live in multiple feet of snow that could give some advice on what would help; a lift, tires, etc. Thanks in advanced.
I live in the great white north
A couple inches of lift will give you some room to put some larger tires on and get the jeep up off the snow. For road driving in snow a fatter air down tire is not the best. It just make you feel like your floating. A good snow tire would be your best for roads. I'm running Goodyear duratrac tires so I can use them Year round for trails and snow driving in the winter.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A lift will give bigger tires and more ground clearance. No matter why you do you will still drag your diffs in a foot or so of snow. Unless you want to run 54 inch claws.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by cedarraider
A lift will give bigger tires and more ground clearance. No matter why you do you will still drag your diffs in a foot or so of snow. Unless you want to run 54 inch claws.
+1. Don't get much snow here in Texas, but been in some up in Colorado a few times. The problem is gonna be the diffs just plowing it up, and lift isn't going to make much difference.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Only going off your question of driving in "feet of snow." It's all about the size of your footprint. You want as big of tire you can run with as little air pressure and try to "float" on/in the snow. We do a lot of snow wheeling here in Washington. I run a 2.5" lift, 37" tires with beadlocks and typically run between 2.5-4 psi in the tires. Depending on snow conditions, you can push snow over the hood with the right technique. My profile picture is taken in about 6' of snow, the jeep sinks down about 2' till the snow packs and then we crawl, plow our way forward and back, forward and back, forward and back. It's fun.

Quick Reply: Snow clearance question