Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Years and Years of Inexperienced Recreational Four Wheeling

Old 01-24-2015, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Years and Years of Inexperienced Recreational Four Wheeling

So, after 20 years of driving off-road professionally (I'm a geologist) and some recreational backroad and trail riding it occurs to me that I've never used nor needed recovery gear. I can generally just call out a CAT D10, and I've never had to. Having said all that, I'm now embarking on some family wheeling and figure it's time for me to gear up appropriately. I always carry a shovel, axe, pick, jack, gloves and personal safety equipment (e.g. safety glasses, vest). I think all I really need to pick up is a strap and shackles. Any recommendations for a strap and shackles? I'd like some logic for the recommendation too, seems like everyone has an opinion.

Anyone?...Anyone.........?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

I always take a snatch strap, safer than using a chain and if your stuck in mud, sand, or snow it uses the pulling vehicles enery and acts like a rubberband to slingshot you out. I use a arb brand snatch strap has worked great in rocks and on me and I've used it in sand and snow to pull out trucks.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm a civil engineer and have spent many km offroad getting to various job sites also. Even though we say "never wheel alone" the reality is different from that. And if the site is not developed yet, there's no equipment around! So I carry the following.

Warn M8000 winch
Recovery strap
Snatch block
3 or 4 D rings
Hi lift 48"
Shovel
Compressor
Bottle jack
Misc. ratchet straps
Flashlight
Bow saw or chainsaw
Spare fluids
Socket set

For the strap it is 3" wide and I think rated at 20,000 lbs. It's not a snatch strap that stores elastic energy, just a pull strap.

The shackles are 3/4" D rings just from the hardware store. One might be a Warn brand.

Last edited by PG-JKU; 01-25-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks Gents

Good information. This first outing with the family is with a jeep club and I'm doing the novice/stock trail ride and having the wife drive a little. Should be fun. thanks for the info, I think I'll build up the recovery gear slowly, adding first a strap and snatch block, or a snatch strap. I have the shovel, pick, jacks etc already. My tow points are the stock points (hooks 2front/1rear), so don't need shackles yet, but I suspect new bumpers are in the future....
Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Getting shackles still might be a good idea even though you wont hook them to your vehicle ... might be too hook to someone elses.

I just bought an insert for my tow hitch that uses a shackle for center location on the Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Shackle-hitch.png
Views:	63
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	593775  
Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

You probably already know this, but avoid straps with hooks. Make sure they have eyes sewn into them. ARB makes a very durable strap, but is fairly expensive. Smittybilt also makes a reliable strap that is less, but also is durable. There are others who buy ropes that are designed for vehicle recovery that have eyes braided into them. However, the ropes are very expensive.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by RogueLeader
You probably already know this, but avoid straps with hooks. Make sure they have eyes sewn into them. ARB makes a very durable strap, but is fairly expensive. Smittybilt also makes a reliable strap that is less, but also is durable. There are others who buy ropes that are designed for vehicle recovery that have eyes braided into them. However, the ropes are very expensive.
I've got a smittybilt 30K strap, and a reciever hitch Shackle mount on the way. Picking up an extra shackle from Home Depot tomorrow. Combine those with my shovels, picks, and many other assorted odds and ends, I should be good to go. Next up...my trailer build.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

I have two boxes in the back of the Jeep. One contains the recovery gear - wrenches, recovery strap, gloves, shovel, and more. The other contains EMS gear (I am an ex EMT) - safety vest, medic gloves, window punch, bandages, 4x4s, antiseptics, bandaids, water, etc. I have done one trip to date and used the EMS gear to repair a stubbed toe that was bleeding. We should remember that 2/3rds of Firefighter call outs are medical issues so don't leave that part off your recovery gear list!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Default Geologist here also

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
I'm a civil engineer and have spent many km offroad getting to various job sites also. Even though we say "never wheel alone" the reality is different from that. And if the site is not developed yet, there's no equipment around! So I carry the following.

Warn M8000 winch
Recovery strap
Snatch block
3 or 4 D rings
Hi lift 48"
Shovel
Compressor
Bottle jack
Misc. ratchet straps
Flashlight
Bow saw or chainsaw
Spare fluids
Socket set

For the strap it is 3" wide and I think rated at 20,000 lbs. It's not a snatch strap that stores elastic energy, just a pull strap.

The shackles are 3/4" D rings just from the hardware store. One might be a Warn brand.
I when I first started out thought that a truck was the answer. After being stuck in my Datsun king cab too many times I got a jeep cj7 go anywhere do anything almost rolled it driving up to a plateau on a new grading job. Gravity is a harsh teacher. So later I figured a winch. After many other trucks so many with open diffs so many stucks. So like the previous poster. Winch straps no hooks Matt tracks. Air Buried a 78 bronco and my exwifes suburban in sand finally learned about airing down

so to be really well equipped add air to the list. Otherwise sounds like you got some good advice
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default I missed your input here

Originally Posted by Alasdhair
I have two boxes in the back of the Jeep. One contains the recovery gear - wrenches, recovery strap, gloves, shovel, and more. The other contains EMS gear (I am an ex EMT) - safety vest, medic gloves, window punch, bandages, 4x4s, antiseptics, bandaids, water, etc. I have done one trip to date and used the EMS gear to repair a stubbed toe that was bleeding. We should remember that 2/3rds of Firefighter call outs are medical issues so don't leave that part off your recovery gear list!
I totally support your comment and echo it to anyone reading this thread. I'm not an EMT, but after many years of mining and HAZWOPER work, all of my vehicles have fully stocked (and practical) FA kits. i also maintain my FA/CPR annually rather than at the minimum interval. Whether out wheelin' or just in parking lot, a good kit comes in handy. I've used my kits more than I care to.

Quick Reply: Years and Years of Inexperienced Recreational Four Wheeling