Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

102" Whip Antenna

Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my CB antenna:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Views:	2300
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	493821
Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 AM
BME
JK Newbie

I know this topic is old, and I too have been trying to figure out where to install a taller cb whip on my JK. I said screw it and drilled holes in the body to give the JK a different look and went with a Ball Mount. I had to cut the inside above the rear fender and bend the metal back to connect the ball mount to the body. I fabricated a metal backing plate behind the ball mount to make the sheetmetal more rigid. I used a Breedlove Ball mount to not have a chrome finished ball mount. I figure I'm keeping the Jeep Forever, so why the Hell Not. Don't be afraid to put holes in your Jeep!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1172.JPG
Views:	4517
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	666878Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.JPG
Views:	1822
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	666879
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.JPG
Views:	1122
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	666880  
Old 02-19-2017, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Breedlove mounts are the best. I had them fabricate a custom one for my Hi-Q 6/160 antenna. It is perfect.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 AM
BME
JK Newbie

They really are a quality product. I had a Breedlove mount with a 4" backing plate on my last pickup truck and received so many compliments on its looks, besides the fact that it was damn near indestructible. I didn't know he could make custom mounts, I guess that makes sense. You will have to post a pic if you have a chance. If I would have known he could do custom work I would have had him make a more oblong mounting plate to fit above the rear tire fender where I mounted mine.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need a solid ground to have an effective antenna for 27mhz.
The problem is that Wranglers are inherently lousy antenna platforms off the lot.
I have used a 102"whip for years, with great success.
They are a quarter wave length, and are virtually indestructible.
Your best mount is a 2" ball with or w/o the spring. It really doesn't matter.
I highly recommended a steel rear bumper mounting position, on either corner. It's not perfect, but the antenna is tall enough to make up for the directionallity that you might expect.
The following users liked this post:
Niteshooter (05-23-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 11:54 AM
wgw
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

attach a short non conducting material line between the whip and your body to control deflection
Old 05-25-2021, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wgw
attach a short non conducting material line between the whip and your body to control deflection
I don't know about that, I found a 102" stainless steel whip at speed was a good deterrent for tailgaters.

The following users liked this post:
Dat (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Agree with the 102's, used to be my standard antenna back in the 70's but when vehicles came out with plastic bumpers that changed and wound up looking for alternate solutions. The Jeep is a challenge all right, granted with an aftermarket steel bumper that puts bumper mounted 102's back into the mix. Last bumper mounted antenna I had was the Hustler beer can antenna which performed better than a basic 102 but was a magnet for thieves.

Currently running a quad band antenna on a custom mount attached to my Morryde tailgate hinge and have been ok with it. SWR around 1.5 so it's passable though it has a fold down feature which I don't like. Over time as the spring gets tired the antenna will automatically flip over at highway speed. I tried wrapping the hinge with 3M Temflex rubber splicing tape a rubberized tape that once cured forms a tight waterproof seal. So far seems to be working on a new replacement quad. I also use this tape to wrap my electrical and antenna connections since we have brine solution on the roads up here and it creeps into everything and corrodes connections.

Quick Reply: 102" Whip Antenna