Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Alright CB geniuses, get in here please!

Old 11-06-2014, 02:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like everyone else has said the internal SWR meters are sketchy. Those tailgate antenna mounts can be a little difficult to deal with too. The tailgate is poorly grounded (bonded) due to the hinges.

What's your location? Maybe we can get some local help or direct you to a decent shop.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Like everyone else has said the internal SWR meters are sketchy. Those tailgate antenna mounts can be a little difficult to deal with too. The tailgate is poorly grounded (bonded) due to the hinges. What's your location? Maybe we can get some local help or direct you to a decent shop.
I'm on the northern va area. If the tail gate is a poor ground can't I run a ground from there to the tub? I knew the mount location was bad but it's really the only choice I could use, unfortunately. Anywhere else I felt it'd be ripped off. Thanks for all your help!

Do you think I damaged anything with the insulator under the mount?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can but need to use a fairly heavy braided ground strap. Before going that route I would verify with an external SWR meter.

Unless you transmitted for a long time I highly doubt anything burnt up inside the radio.

Are there any local truck stops in your area? If so they typically sell SWR meters. Also some Radio Shack stores still stock SWR meters. You will also need a short piece of coax cable to use as a jumper.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Yes you can but need to use a fairly heavy braided ground strap. Before going that route I would verify with an external SWR meter. Unless you transmitted for a long time I highly doubt anything burnt up inside the radio. Are there any local truck stops in your area? If so they typically sell SWR meters. Also some Radio Shack stores still stock SWR meters. You will also need a short piece of coax cable to use as a jumper.
I never transmitted long. Maybe 5 times for a few seconds. I'm not far from I-95 so I'm sure there's a few truck stops around there. I'll also check radio shack. Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey JK505., which Cobra 29 do you have?

Some models have a little red light that comes on when the SWR is too high. Does yours?

Also, what does the S/RF meter show when transmitting? Does it show a constant reading or does it drop off?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Hey JK505., which Cobra 29 do you have? Some models have a little red light that comes on when the SWR is too high. Does yours? Also, what does the S/RF meter show when transmitting? Does it show a constant reading or does it drop off?
Cobra 29 LTD. No little red light but a flashing "antenna warning" but that went away after swapping the washer and sanding the mount.

I believe it reads 3.2ish when transmitting. I'll check in the morning to confirm. And it's a constant reading when transmitting, no drop off.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

The reading is completely full when transmitting and constant. Did I break it?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely seems like a grounding issue. Are you still using the SWR on the radio? Do you have someone who can help out by grounding it while you check the SWR?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK7007
Definitely seems like a grounding issue. Are you still using the SWR on the radio? Do you have someone who can help out by grounding it while you check the SWR?
Yes still using the meter in the radio. Only option I've got for now, unfortunately. I don't have anyone who can ground it (I assume you mean by touching the antenna) but I do have about 3,000 feet of copper wire! If someone can tell me how to ground the antenna, ie where to attach the antenna end of the wire, I can take it from there. (Former Electrician by trade)

Last edited by JK505; 11-07-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm supposing you already read the manual -
https://www.cobra.com/sites/default/...s/29LTDCLA.pdf

If you have the switch in the S/RF position and the meter swings all the way to the right AND when the meter is set to the SWR position and it reads less than 3 then you should be good to go.

PS> I grounded my tailgate to the body of the Jeep. There is a bolt on the right side of the back that I used for one side of the ground and then I ran the grounding wire near the hinge up thru the tail gate to the antenna mount.

Last edited by ShawnInPaso; 11-07-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Alright CB geniuses, get in here please!