Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Anyone using gmrs radios for trails?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using gmrs radios for trails?

I have some gmrs handhelds that I use for outdoor stuff. I know a 35 mile range is not what you really get. In the wooded areas that I have used them, I have gotten as much as a mile. I was curious if anyone uses these for trail rides
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

I use both ICom GMRS and Garmin GMRS/GPS radios. At low power their good for two miles (ICom) at high power I have gotten up to 10 miles (ICom). They easily outperform (clarity and portability) CB radios in most environments, the problem is GMRS radios require a license to operate (which I have). I think most people though use FRS radios as no license is required for FRS radios. FRS typical have a range of only a mile line of sight and are sold mostly in the 1 watt range. GMRS start at 2 watts and can go up to 5 watts or even higher.

I do not understand why many spend thousand upon thousand on their builds but will not spend the $50 for a GMRS radio license. The flexibility of these radios IMO make them a must for outings. Lastly, GMRS work on a number of lower FRS chanels so talking to friends along the trail or in camp is no problem.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bkeeper
I use both ICom GMRS and Garmin GMRS/GPS radios. At low power their good for two miles (ICom) at high power I have gotten up to 10 miles (ICom). They easily outperform (clarity and portability) CB radios in most environments, the problem is GMRS radios require a license to operate (which I have). I think most people though use FRS radios as no license is required for FRS radios. FRS typical have a range of only a mile line of sight and are sold mostly in the 1 watt range. GMRS start at 2 watts and can go up to 5 watts or even higher.

I do not understand why many spend thousand upon thousand on their builds but will not spend the $50 for a GMRS radio license. The flexibility of these radios IMO make them a must for outings. Lastly, GMRS work on a number of lower FRS chanels so talking to friends along the trail or in camp is no problem.
I agree. They get out well and don't require any setting up. Go grief I I have cussed trying to get my SWR down on the CB. Batteries are the most annoying issue, but that is what lighter chargers are for.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default GMRS license

Just received some FRS/GMRS radios for family fun and to use on the trails... Do I really need to buy the license to use the GMRS channels? How will the FCC find me and fine me?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tfishmrt
Just received some FRS/GMRS radios for family fun and to use on the trails... Do I really need to buy the license to use the GMRS channels? How will the FCC find me and fine me?
I'm gonna tell! :rotfl mao2:

Just kiddin'!

I do agree that FRS, GMRS and HAM just makes more sense to me than CB for a whole lotta reasons.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ACP TED
I'm gonna tell! :rotfl mao2: Just kiddin'! I do agree that FRS, GMRS and HAM just makes more sense to me than CB for a whole lotta reasons.
Great for communicating with spotters, others in group. I have found them so far to get out on the trail as good as the cb.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by firecapt
Great for communicating with spotters, others in group. I have found them so far to get out on the trail as good as the cb.

Oh yeah, I totally agree... Once upon a time, playing with CB's proved you can get good range out of 'em, but... Now with playing with HAM Radio on SSB, AM and FM... I can appreciate squelching out the white noise and having the cleaner signal of FM on the short range comms... another nice thing with FRS, is the radio are cheap... If you drop one in the mud... Or run one over when the spotter gets in the way...
OK that one is not funny...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

GMRS works fairly well, and if you have already invested in it, and the license, then you may be well served. The only major downside, is the large number of "Bubble Pack" sets parents buy their kids as toys. Many of these sets cover both GMRS and FRS bands. The congestion this causes varies by location and tends to be bothersome in vacation areas.

MURS is license free (licensed by rule) and, operates near 150 mhz and performs better in wooded areas. The radios that cover this band are generally of better quality and slightly higher power. After several years of use, I have not heard any unwanted traffic while on the trail.

If you are thinking of going FM hand held, I recommend this approach.

Phil

Last edited by psouza; 09-20-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by psouza
GMRS works fairly well, and if you have already invested in it, and the license, then you may be well served. The only major downside, is the large number of "Bubble Pack" sets parents buy their kids as toys. Many of these sets cover both GMRS and FRS bands. The congestion this causes varies by location and tends to be bothersome in vacation areas.

MURS is license free (licensed by rule) and, operates near 150 mhz and performs better in wooded areas. The radios that cover this band are generally of better quality and slightly higher power. After several years of use, I have not heard any unwanted traffic while on the trail.

If you are thinking of going FM hand held, I recommend this approach.

Phil
So, true... I totally forgot about MURS. Glad you brought that up.

Around my area anyway, I have been scanning the FRS, GMRS (and will add MURS to the scanner) there is some traffic on the FRS channels but not too busy... And haven't heard anything on GMRS. I don't bother with the CB channels... I-69 isn't that far away and talk about a bunch of noise.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always carry a pair in the Jeep. Sometimes we have new people show up on trail runs that don't have a CB. So it's easy to hand them a cheap motorola handheld and someone with a CB has the other to relay messages. My CB is a hand held also. I got a Midland 75-822. It's perfect, runs on a regular AA battery pack, a rechargable AA battery pack and it plugs into the 12v power also. It has a small hand held antenna or you can take that off and plug into a regualer whip. Not back for less than $100.

Quick Reply: Anyone using gmrs radios for trails?