Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Bad for antenna to hit things?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It definitely doesn't sound great hitting the signs but luckily I can dodge most of them. Went in the empty lot across the street from my condo building and got the swr well under 1.5 on 1, 19, 20, and 40! Hopefully it's as good as it looks.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auceny
Will it be bad or just different and need the antenna tuned again? I couldn't get the SWR great on all three 1-20-40 but was like 1.6 on 1 and 40 and way better on 20 I think.
If you add a 3 inch spring, you will have to cut 3 inches from the length of the antenna. Also, do the signs have lights in them. Usually antennas in a garage take out the fluorescent light bulbs.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
If you add a 3 inch spring, you will have to cut 3 inches from the length of the antenna. Also, do the signs have lights in them. Usually antennas in a garage take out the fluorescent light bulbs.
No lights in the signs and it doesn't hit anything else in the garage. I'll just take it slow for the one or two that I can't miss. And the SWR looks better than before so I think I'm good to go. I haven't had a chance yet to test with anyone else since I don't know anyone with a cb. I could get random checks from the highway though I guess. I need to read more about proper tuning I think as well.

Last edited by auceny; 04-28-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not good for the antenna... over time it will damage it more and more. Mine gets hit everytime I drive it by trees and limbs. Few times I've taken it through parking garages but the ting ting ting ting is rather embarrassing so that is not very common. I've had it for about 3 years and just bought another 4' firestick from amazon for about 25 bucks. I could visibly see the damage starting to break up the wire coils.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Its not good for the antenna... over time it will damage it more and more. Mine gets hit everytime I drive it by trees and limbs. Few times I've taken it through parking garages but the ting ting ting ting is rather embarrassing so that is not very common. I've had it for about 3 years and just bought another 4' firestick from amazon for about 25 bucks. I could visibly see the damage starting to break up the wire coils.
Ok that was my direction of the original question. Since I put the spring on and it seemed to tune well I think I'll leave it. But now I know to keep an eye out for damage to the coils. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

This is what I did, may not be your answer but worked for me- spring and right angle slip connect.Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-15 16.40.22.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	608718
Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM
dog
JK Newbie

Mine's just flexible enough that I can use a bungee cord to pull it down enough that it doesn't scrape all over my garage door. Sometimes I forget and deal with it.

Actually, one of my favorite mods has been heat-shrinking the antenna. I was sick of getting fiberglass in my arms when brushing against it. This also seems to protect the antenna a little bit too. Nice thing is it's cheap and easy to replace. I think I used 1/2" polyolefin tubing, but i could be off on the sizing.

Quick Reply: Bad for antenna to hit things?