Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Best Affordable CB Radio

Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CB radios in the US are type-limited by the FCC in terms of their transmit power, this pretty much levels the playing field.

Couple that with nearly all of them having pretty similar receiver quality and you're basically down to price, size and reputation. In terms of brands, uniden and cobra have made quality gear for years.

Avoid the big shiny units with all the lights and stuff--they won't work better, but they'll take up more room and attach more thieves.

Add on pretty much any coax you'd like and a well-designed mount and a full size 1/4 whip and you'll have a great system.

The key to anything in the work of radio is the antenna. Focus on a good mount and full size antenna and you'll be happy with the performance.

Require a smaller/shorter antenna? Fine. That's understandable. Just understand also that the performance will be proportionately worse. But that may be an appropriate trade-off for your needs.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only of the cobra 75 had pa switch.... Ugh
Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stephens2r
The Midland 75-822 is great. No permanent install if you don't want to, and it can be used as a portable unit. You can find it for around $75 shipped.
I bought this radio recently to use at work when I'm not in my regular truck, use it in the mobile configuration with a Little Wil antenna, so far I'm pleased with it.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The Cobra 75WXST is a very easy install. I will let you use our search tool to learn why. ;-)
I put this one in my Jeep, works great, although I did adjust the modulation. I wrote about my install here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...9/#post3688731 Posts #336 and #337.

See how to make the modulation adjustment at the end of this video (7:50 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ASM0MDrMvE
Old 04-01-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by soberbyker
I bought this radio recently to use at work when I'm not in my regular truck, use it in the mobile configuration with a Little Wil antenna, so far I'm pleased with it.

I put this one in my Jeep, works great, although I did adjust the modulation. I wrote about my install here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...9/#post3688731 Posts #336 and #337.

See how to make the modulation adjustment at the end of this video (7:50 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ASM0MDrMvE
To funny I watched this video the other day. Looks like a great CB to me. Can you use it with a fire stick though?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinkic
Can you use it with a fire stick though?
With the possible exception of some handheld CBs, you can use any legal CB with any CB antenna.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sinkic
To funny I watched this video the other day. Looks like a great CB to me. Can you use it with a fire stick though?
I am, a four footer, and my SWR across the board is less than 1.5.

Quick Reply: Best Affordable CB Radio