Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Best cb radio for the money

Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
The bolt that goes though that has the flat and locking washer and also the plastic washer. Everyone has the unthread the bolt and stick it through the hole on the mount and thread- Thus disassembly is required!!!
I've installed quite a few now, some good some bad
I'm outta here!! Good Luck!!!
Are you talking about the Ultramount as I am? If you are, then you don't mean "Everyone" as mine, and many others, were already assembled to the Ultramount.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

The bolt that goes though that has the flat and locking washer and also the plastic washer. Everyone has the unthread the bolt and stick it through the hole on the mount and thread- Thus disassembly is required!!!
I've installed quite a few now, some good some bad
I'm outta here!! Good Luck!!!
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Unless they changed it recently since the last one you installed. According to my directions it says, place the ultramount into the license plate cavity and push the hex coupler up through the hole you drilled. A tight fit is good. the you bolt the entire license plate assembly back on the vehicle. Not at any point do they ask you to or expect you to disassemble the firestik ring. The only thing you have to bolt in is the 1/4" bolt and large flat washer that mounts the entire license plate assembly to the back of your JK.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bonedoc

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Unless they changed it recently since the last one you installed. According to my directions it says, place the ultramount into the license plate cavity and push the hex coupler up through the hole you drilled. A tight fit is good. the you bolt the entire license plate assembly back on the vehicle. Not at any point do they ask you to or expect you to disassemble the firestik ring. The only thing you have to bolt in is the 1/4" bolt and large flat washer that mounts the entire license plate assembly to the back of your JK.
Ah you guys got the plate mount. I'm talking about the other mount they sell!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Ah you guys got the plate mount. I'm talking about the other mount they sell!!!
You know after I read one of the last replies and after I wrote my own I was wondering if we were all on the same page or not.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bonedoc

You know after I read one of the last replies and after I wrote my own I was wondering if we were all on the same page or not.
Definitely not! Lol... I still have no clue what you all are talking about. I bought my cobra but a buddy gave a coax cable and his old firestik... Antenna screws into a bolt like hardware which the coax screws in to.

No plastic pieces, no license plate pieces, no ring pieces.... Maybe I need to buy a new coax and a new antenna and start fresh...
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MtraXX
Definitely not! Lol... I still have no clue what you all are talking about. I bought my cobra but a buddy gave a coax cable and his old firestik... Antenna screws into a bolt like hardware which the coax screws in to.

No plastic pieces, no license plate pieces, no ring pieces.... Maybe I need to buy a new coax and a new antenna and start fresh...
I bought the whole kit from Cooltech, llc. It was a cobra radio with mount for dash/console, ultramount- which mounts inside your stock license plate holder, and a firestik antenna and coaxial cable. It was a complete kit, took about an hour or so to install. I like it, it is compact and I wired mine so I can remove it if I'm not using it. I put a power outlet plug on the power wires and mounted the power box under the dash on the passenger side. When I take the CB out you don't even know anything is there.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

nope the one its ether smittybuilt or tuffy over head from winsheild to roll bar
Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hunterm
Hey guys im a newb and I was wondering about which cb radio I should get. Please feel free to tell me about your own setups.
I suggest you this kit.. you can find all you need for a simple cb install and antenna tuning..

Uniden 510 Jeep & Off-Road CB Kit | Right Channel Radios
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I have narrowed it down to the Uniden 520 xl. Do ya'll have any mounting location suggestions?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had mine installed in the center console.. cost me some dough but like that it's tucked out of the way..

Quick Reply: Best cb radio for the money