Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Best portable handheld CB

Old 04-17-2014, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big brown truck delivered today!! I even picked up a LITTLE chatter with the rubber Ducky. It may work on the trail but I'm sure I'll be adding external antenna next time I'm off work. But overall will do what I need for sure!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your opinion and needs for a cb are exactly like mine. So, thank you for this thread, I think I'll be ordering this as well. What did you get to hang it on? I was looking at that die tech bracket from page 2 of this thread but the link says it works for 2007-2010 jk or JKU. I have a 2014, will it work or is something different after 2010?
Old 04-20-2014, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
Your opinion and needs for a cb are exactly like mine. So, thank you for this thread, I think I'll be ordering this as well. What did you get to hang it on? I was looking at that die tech bracket from page 2 of this thread but the link says it works for 2007-2010 jk or JKU. I have a 2014, will it work or is something different after 2010?
I didn't find anything to hang it yet but was thinking of rigging something with the belt clip that it comes with and 550 chord from the role bar. Or something retractable kinda like a janitor key chain... As soon as I get a weekend off that and an external antenna are my weekend project. Looking at mounts for the antenna now!

Last edited by trouty33; 04-20-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also have the 75-822, use it exactly the same as others here with an antenna mounted permanantly to the jeep for "plug and play" on the trails. I have found using it as a handheld outside of the jeep to spot others works really well to, no more yelling. One thing I like is that the earphone jack can be connected to your radio to allow it to use your existing speakers, no issue with hearing it then!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikd
One thing I like is that the earphone jack can be connected to your radio to allow it to use your existing speakers, no issue with hearing it then!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hypeiv
I use the midland 75-822 but I use the pigtail connector and plug it into my cig lighter and still have a firestick mounted on my tailgate. I used it as a handy talky and it worked fine for listening to close range cb chat but when I transmitted, no one could hear me.

I don't leave my cb in the jeep and only plug it in when I plan to go out wheeling so this radio is good for doing that. I still have had to run a ground wire btw.
Exactly my setup and for a vehicle you can't lock it makes sense to have the ability to remove the radio easily. I have a 4' Firestik that required minimal tuning.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tennessean
Exactly my setup and for a vehicle you can't lock it makes sense to have the ability to remove the radio easily. I have a 4' Firestik that required minimal tuning.
Same here. I use a 3' Firestik Firefly on a quick disconnect and I remove the antenna also when I'm not off-road since it sticks up about a foot above my roof line and would hit the parking garage I use sometimes for work. I like being able to easily remove both the cb and antenna.

With my Midland cb and Firefly antenna, I'm able to transmit and receive as well as anyone in my jeep club.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

It's driving me nuts, I need a day off to get to the local truck stop to buy an antenna, mount, and cable...
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Happy with my 4 foot firestick and midland 75. Transmits well
Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by trouty33
I didn't find anything to hang it yet but was thinking of rigging something with the belt clip that it comes with and 550 chord from the role bar. Or something retractable kinda like a janitor key chain... As soon as I get a weekend off that and an external antenna are my weekend project. Looking at mounts for the antenna now!
I use a GearKeeper with a velcro strap that I wrap around rear view mirror while the mic attaches to the extractable portion of GearKeeper. Provides for easy removal to limits my losses from thief with great function.

Quick Reply: Best portable handheld CB