Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Best portable handheld CB

Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Take a piss poor comms systems and cripple it with a too small antenna inside a metal box? Now that's some funny shit right there and shows why the joke about buying a bridge is so common. As a consumer, I urge you to do more than ask for opinion... take some time and research the subject, you may decide that a larger, dash mounted unit makes some sense.
I assume you are directing this at me (the op)? I have done some research and realize that dash mounts are a better option... But for as little as I would use it I was trying to get some real world feedback from people who have used some of these options to see if it was a viable option!

I can read any manufactures "specs" and make a choice BUT if they were all true then these handhelds are good up to 4 miles!! I think we all know that's not true or at least common. Just doing some "research" with the people that have used this style with similar uses in mind since I have no experience with these.

All that being said since you did take time I post on here I would like to know your suggestion for a CB. What do you use in your jeep and how often do you use it, what's the terrain like where you use it?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by groovebus
I use the Midland 75-822 as well. I tried to use it on the trail as a hand held initially. However, I found that the hard top made it impossible to transmit through. I have used the other little motorola handheld and they worked. But I found out that the motorola type are a higher frequency than the CB range. I ended up getting the teraflex spare tire carrier antenna mount and a 4' firestik. I use the pig tail cigarette lighter adapter and ran the antenna cable into the center consol. Then I just plug the power into the continuous power port. finally used it last week and it worked great. So, unless you are planning on having the hard top off all the time just invest the $50 and get an external antenna.
Thanks! I am debating if I'm going through the effort of running and permanently mounting an antenna... Then that may change my whole outlook on what to run. just not sure what's worth it. As for a hardtop, I don't have one. Soft top only for me.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trouty33
I assume you are directing this at me (the op)? I have done some research and realize that dash mounts are a better option... But for as little as I would use it I was trying to get some real world feedback from people who have used some of these options to see if it was a viable option!

I can read any manufactures "specs" and make a choice BUT if they were all true then these handhelds are good up to 4 miles!! I think we all know that's not true or at least common. Just doing some "research" with the people that have used this style with similar uses in mind since I have no experience with these.

All that being said since you did take time I post on here I would like to know your suggestion for a CB. What do you use in your jeep and how often do you use it, what's the terrain like where you use it?

Personally, I do not run a CB any longer. I found them to be a poor choice for comms when there are much more robust systems out there.

That being said, for most folks out there, it's both better than nothing and one that will interface with most other four wheelers. I think the Cobra 29 series is hard to beat, but it's big and kinda ugly in my opinion. You have the professional names like Galaxy, which are really good radios, but overkill and even bigger than the Cobra. I tried the Cobra all in one (75dx or something like that) and wasn't impressed.... I also see a lot of them fail, probably from dust and vibration... so not so good in our application. I have found the Uniden's to be a fair compromise between performance and size, price is good as well. I've run both the 510 and 520 and would recommend either.

So.... you have my recommendation, which I don't often give as I'd rather look at merit vs brand.

Anyways... the problem with the walkie talkie type is both power and antenna. You could rectify the antenna problem with an antenna mounted on the outside of the Jeep... stick with 4' or more and get that as high as possible on a good ground plane. Best place I can recommend on an average Jeep is the cowl. Rear bumper/carrier is a poor choice, as would be the roof. Don't worry about 18 feet of cable, cut to length... trust me, the problems associated with coiling it up are worse than a improperly matched length of wire. Those suggestions are worthwhile no matter the CB you get. You'll want clean power directly from the battery as well.

I also find the walkie talkie type to be cumbersome and hard to operate when under stress and driving. You'll also get more volume out of a dash unit.

To your other questions... I run a HAM rig in my car. Many of the guys I wheel with run this type of setup. The terrain is normally the desert in the Southwest. I often talk back to camp for parts, etc. while wheeling ten miles away in deep canyons. These radios are clean talking FM rigs.... nothing like CB, which often can't reach around a turn in a canyon, 1/4 mile away.

The low end HAM rigs that are suitable for our uses are about the same price as a good CB setup, yet excel in every way. The problem is one of the chicken and egg.... all your buddies probably use CB.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info! I'm not sold on anything yet just doing some homework... Don't want to spend money to realize I wasted it and spend more to fix the issue!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

The handheld Baofeng hams are now $30 each on Amazon. Works better than the "best" cb I have ever installed. Spend a little time, get a license, encourage your trail mates to do the same. You will be happy you did.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by trouty33
Thanks for the info! I'm not sold on anything yet just doing some homework... Don't want to spend money to realize I wasted it and spend more to fix the issue!
Glad to hear you are looking at all your options and aren't in a hurry. You'll make better choices that way.

Originally Posted by luk4mud
The handheld Baofeng hams are now $30 each on Amazon. Works better than the "best" cb I have ever installed. Spend a little time, get a license, encourage your trail mates to do the same. You will be happy you did.
Stick to the MURS channels and you don't have to worry about a license... well, that radio I believe puts out five watts where as the reg states a max of two, so technically it shouldn't be used, but if one stuck to those five channels, no one would ever notice.

And I concur, using this handheld at five watts and no external antenna (outside the car), one would realize better comms than the best CB and correctly sized antenna (108"). You'd still have my issue with operatability, but a hand mic would solve that. Volume might be an issue.

Also... one thing on these little cheap chi-com handhelds. They are great! I have played with the Baofeng and have owned a Wouxun. Both great radios and I continually kick myself for replacing the $100 Wouxun with a $500 Yaesu.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Glad to hear you are looking at all your options and aren't in a hurry. You'll make better choices that way.

Stick to the MURS channels and you don't have to worry about a license... well, that radio I believe puts out five watts where as the reg states a max of two, so technically it shouldn't be used, but if one stuck to those five channels, no one would ever notice.

And I concur, using this handheld at five watts and no external antenna (outside the car), one would realize better comms than the best CB and correctly sized antenna (108"). You'd still have my issue with operatability, but a hand mic would solve that. Volume might be an issue.

Also... one thing on these little cheap chi-com handhelds. They are great! I have played with the Baofeng and have owned a Wouxun. Both great radios and I continually kick myself for replacing the $100 Wouxun with a $500 Yaesu.
I thought I read somewhere that technically you are not supposed to be on the MURS channels with those radios. It seems like there is a fair amount of traffic on the race channels by unlicensed folks though, so maybe there is an exception there?

I have a earbud/ throat mike with my little radio and it solves the volume and operability issues you mentioned above. battery life is really good too- like two days with pretty steady use.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by luk4mud
I thought I read somewhere that technically you are not supposed to be on the MURS channels with those radios. It seems like there is a fair amount of traffic on the race channels by unlicensed folks though, so maybe there is an exception there?

I have a earbud/ throat mike with my little radio and it solves the volume and operability issues you mentioned above. battery life is really good too- like two days with pretty steady use.
The race radio issue you bring up is real and there isn't an exception that I know about. They are using the Business Band and it does require a licence.... that being said, the MURS channels aren't kosher for this radio for the reason I stated above and again, you should see no issue if you stick to those five. You could lower the output to two, but the radio would still not be type accepted for those freqs.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

I am not sure that I want to get into it this in depth. I truly have very little use for it other than some event require you have a CB. I stopped a local truck stop today to see what options they had it didn't help much there was choices for antennas cables and accessories but I didn't see one base unit. My overall goal is to spend as little as possible and still have something that will get the job done during group trail runs.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

Ok so I think I've narrowed it down to either a cobra 19 dx IV or a Uniden pro 510xl. I think for the price it's a better fit for what I want it for.

Now the next question is I stopped at a local truck stop to see what they had for antennas and stuff. I know I've read a ton about firesticks but they didn't sell them. They did have 2 others that I think may work... I Wilson flex or a super tiger. What can you guys tell me about either of these?? Plus I know 18' coax and ground, ground, ground!!

Quick Reply: Best portable handheld CB