Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Best portable handheld CB

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Midland 75-822 as well, only used for trail runs. Bought the Cooltech ant/mount/coax to install. Works perfect on the trail hooked to the external ant. The rubber ant works good Outside the Jeep. My two closest wheeling buddies use the inexpensive Cobra 19 and they work very well for trail purposes also.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luk4mud
The handheld Baofeng hams are now $30 each on Amazon. Works better than the "best" cb I have ever installed. Spend a little time, get a license, encourage your trail mates to do the same. You will be happy you did.
I agree... Running 2m handy talky ,even from inside a hard top jk, will easily surpass most jeep cb set ups in both range and sound quality. The problem is the radio license. I have tried in vain to convince wheelers to get their license but I have never used my 2m/70cm radio on the trail.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Forgot to mention the ant..I have a firestik, no problems. I've heard the Wilsons are good too. My buddy bought a cheapo from a truck stop and it broke a couple weeks after installing when he laid his softtop back! I'd stick with the name brands..just my two cents, hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also use a Midland 75-822 with a 3' Firestik Firefly antenna mounted with a quick disconnect. I only use the cb when I go off-road with my club and didn't want a permanent cb install or antenna so this works perfect for me.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lowendrider
I have the Midland 75-822 as well, only used for trail runs. Bought the Cooltech ant/mount/coax to install. Works perfect on the trail hooked to the external ant. The rubber ant works good Outside the Jeep. My two closest wheeling buddies use the inexpensive Cobra 19 and they work very well for trail purposes also.
That is a nice unit and I like that it can be set up to use with the external antenna. I also like the weather option but would "need" it. It would also be easy to put in the center console when not in use... The only question I have is do you have any issue with all the buttons being on the unit itself? I'm worried I will end up pressing button or bumping buttons when laying it down since it doesn't look as if you could mount it on a mic holder?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trouty33
That is a nice unit and I like that it can be set up to use with the external antenna. I also like the weather option but would "need" it. It would also be easy to put in the center console when not in use... The only question I have is do you have any issue with all the buttons being on the unit itself? I'm worried I will end up pressing button or bumping buttons when laying it down since it doesn't look as if you could mount it on a mic holder?
I have my Midland mounted with this which works with a belt clip:

Die-Tech Off-road Dash Utility Mount

I've also seen posts where people have removed the belt clip and attached a mic button so they can use a standard mic holder.

This pic is with the mount before I added the external antenna:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007-small_zps61e4f5a9.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	530037

Last edited by brighton; 02-10-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had no issues hitting buttons when I wasn't intending to. Maybe if you laid it down and let it bounce around while driving you'd have problems, otherwise hang it somewhere and you're good to go.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brighton
I have my Midland mounted with this which works with a belt clip:

Die-Tech Off-road Dash Utility Mount

I've also seen posts where people have removed the belt clip and attached a mic button so they can use a standard mic holder.

This pic is with the mount before I added the external antenna:

Attachment 530037
Did it work at all on the trail without the external antenna? I like that even more after seeing your pic, its smaller looking than I expected.

Originally Posted by lowendrider
I've had no issues hitting buttons when I wasn't intending to. Maybe if you laid it down and let it bounce around while driving you'd have problems, otherwise hang it somewhere and you're good to go.
Ok guys now I may have not made up my mind... Anyone else with word about the Wilson flex or a super tiger?

Last edited by trouty33; 02-10-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did it work at all on the trail without the external antenna? I like that even more after seeing your pic, its smaller looking than I expected.
In a small group that stays relatively close together on the trails, it works ok without an external antenna. I used it that way for about 6 months. However, when we got a little spread out, it wouldn't work well. I'd say the limits are about 1/4 mile or so. When a group of us went on a long-distance trip to Alabama to go off-roading and tried to stay in touch via cb on the highway, I realized the limitations. Once I added the external antenna, I don't have to turn it up as loud and the range extended to a couple of miles, even with a relatively short 3' antenna.

I don't have any problems accidentally hitting buttons on the handheld. I like the mount because it's just about the perfect distance for me to grab ahold of, yet it's out of the way and doesn't bounce around.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brighton
In a small group that stays relatively close together on the trails, it works ok without an external antenna. I used it that way for about 6 months. However, when we got a little spread out, it wouldn't work well. I'd say the limits are about 1/4 mile or so. When a group of us went on a long-distance trip to Alabama to go off-roading and tried to stay in touch via cb on the highway, I realized the limitations. Once I added the external antenna, I don't have to turn it up as loud and the range extended to a couple of miles, even with a relatively short 3' antenna.

I don't have any problems accidentally hitting buttons on the handheld. I like the mount because it's just about the perfect distance for me to grab ahold of, yet it's out of the way and doesn't bounce around.
Thanks that's good info! I've seen a few guys here say that in small groups the rubber ducky works... Specially since as long as weather is decent I'll be topless. I may just go with this then and see how well it works without an external, then if I desire better range I can just add to it easily

Quick Reply: Best portable handheld CB