Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Best portable handheld CB

Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is to get a cobra 75. http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71068

There is a link to 'stealth' install I have mine mounted in a very similar fashion. When it's not needed I just D/C and store the handheld.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

If it's not too late another option in a Cobra 75 remote install.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71068

I have mine installed in a similar fashion. Just D/C and store the handheld when not in use
Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by docWrangler
Another option is to get a cobra 75. http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71068 There is a link to 'stealth' install I have mine mounted in a very similar fashion. When it's not needed I just D/C and store the handheld.
It's not to late, I did look at the cobra 75 and it is a nice little set up. I still am leaning toward the midland because I can move it to my expedition for when I tow the trailer too. Plus then I can take it on the boat for weather as well... I thought about getting a permanent set up but again I'll probably use the handheld just as much in other vehicles (boat mostly) as I do my jeep. I'll leave the antenna set up permanent to my jeep. So ideally once that is set up and tuned nothing should really change much.
Still would rather borrow a swr meter if I can. So if anyone here is from central or NE PA or comes to RC often give me a yell!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

I have the Midland 75-822, and a 4 ft firestick. I have my antenna plug in my console along side the 12v plug. I like it because I can take it out, and ground guide without having to shout. Mine did work inside my Jeep on the trail before I put the firestik in, but it was quieter. I also have a soft top, so that may have helped the signal get out. I mounted my antenna on a home made mount on my hinge high lift jack mount. It also has a firestik quick disconnect, so I can take the antenna off for the garage. Nice radio for the price. I got mine at Bestbuy.com for $70, but I see they have gone up to $86 now with everything included except the firestick & cable.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Finally getting around to ordering the midland tomorrow! Can not wait to get it and test it out!!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 AM
JK Newbie

Just got my midland 75-822. $76 shipped from amazon. I also got the 4 foot firestik cable, spring, and mount.

I haven't installed the antenna yet but even as a handheld it's a nice setup. Definitely looking forward to getting the additional range from it though
Old 04-04-2014, 01:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trouty33
It's not to late, I did look at the cobra 75 and it is a nice little set up. I still am leaning toward the midland because I can move it to my expedition for when I tow the trailer too. Plus then I can take it on the boat for weather as well... I thought about getting a permanent set up but again I'll probably use the handheld just as much in other vehicles (boat mostly) as I do my jeep. I'll leave the antenna set up permanent to my jeep. So ideally once that is set up and tuned nothing should really change much.
Still would rather borrow a swr meter if I can. So if anyone here is from central or NE PA or comes to RC often give me a yell!
You can pick up an SWR meter for around 10 bucks.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by UKCRD
You can pick up an SWR meter for around 10 bucks.
Where did you find one at that price? Even though I didn't get it ordered then on Thursday spent the day working on a baseball field. Hopefully tomorrow...
Old 04-05-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trouty33
Where did you find one at that price? Even though I didn't get it ordered then on Thursday spent the day working on a baseball field. Hopefully tomorrow...
eBay. I paid around $20 here in the UK but when I searched on the US site several were nearly half that. You don't need anything too fancy, just a basic meter.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Ok so finally got around to ordering the midland. Can't wait till it gets here then it's off to pick up an antenna and get it tuned!

Quick Reply: Best portable handheld CB