Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Antenna Interference

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Antenna Interference

The other week I installed a Cobra 75 in my Jeep with a 4' Firestik antenna, mounted as shown. When I bench tested the radio it worked relatively well. I was inside a garage and getting some static on the untuned antenna, but I could hear people coming across at least. Once I ran the coax through the car however that all changed.

All I get is static from the mic and interference at varying levels. Could this be the way I ran the coax? I ran it along the driver side of the car, paralleling the other wire bundle going up that side of the vehicle.

How did you guys run your wires?

(Sorry, only picture I could find with the antenna. Its a Firestik mount as well)

Last edited by HoboBob; 04-25-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool S w r

You have not mentioned setting the SWR levels. Have you done that? Running the coax next to the wiring harness should have no affect if the coax has no damaged areas.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
You have not mentioned setting the SWR levels. Have you done that? Running the coax next to the wiring harness should have no affect if the coax has no damaged areas.
I didn't tune it yet since I didn't see a point in it if it worked prior to install in it but not now.

Would that make that large of a difference?
Old 04-26-2015, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Cool Setting SWR

When tuning the antenna, the JK should be in an open space, not near buildings or trees with at least 30' clearance in all directions including up. When taking the actual SWR readings the doors on your JK should also be closed and the plastic tip should be on the antenna. There are several detailed instructional threads on this forum. Check out the SEARCH function and select the one you like. OR - read the instructions that came with the antenna. they are printed on the back of the cardboard. Lastly, after you tune your antenna, use the Squelch dial to tune our the static then press the Sound Tracker (ST) button to fine tune both local and distant noise.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 04-26-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

SWR is a must for transmitting with the radio... as for receiving signals it's not..
and it's a lot easier to receive a signal then to transmit.
you could have a SWR of 3+ and still hear people..

I can't always hear people when I turn on my radio. you really have to have someone trying to contact you for a good radio check.
A SWR also might help tell you if the system has a new problem.. broken contact.... etc.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you're that unsure drive to a bridge over the highway. You'll hear plenty of traffic on the net. The traffic you heard when you bench tested the equipment may have moved out of range. The above advice about tuning is also very good.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most often a problem with excessive noise is caused by a grounding issue. You have to be absolutely sure to install the antenna so that it has a good connection to the body of the jeep. Your antenna position is good, but did you scrape the paint from the body panel so that the connection is good? Also, ensure that your power and ground connections are directly to the battery and that there is a fuse on both the power and ground.

If you want to see if there is a problem with the wire routing and crosstalk, just listen to the difference on the reception between a running vehicle and one that is turned off. Ignition noise and power switching noises will not interfere if the engine is off.

Finally I agree with others in that to understand how well you can receive a signal requires that you tune your antenna and then have someone else who you can work with to give you a radio check. If their radio is also tuned well, then they can drive around and talk to you to give you an idea about reception capability.

Tuning your antenna is a must for both reception and transmission. A low SWR reading is indicative of how well the antenna resonance is matched to the desired frequency. Yes, you only get an SWR reading when transmitting, but that is just because an SWR meter is easy and cheap to use to take the measurement.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, I did a bit of research on the Firestick Antenna. What is the model number of the antenna you have. KW4. or FS4.

Last edited by maxspongebob; 05-02-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
So, I did a bit of research on the Firestick Antenna. What is the model number of the antenna you have. KW4. or FS4.
It's a FS4, with the tuneable tip. I've tried playing with it a little but to no avail.

I'm going to try running an additional ground wire to see if that helps with the problem. I definitely do have more interference in the radio when the car is running vs when the ignition is off.

Last edited by HoboBob; 05-18-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Cool More questions

1 Is your 12V power source the + terminal of the battery?

2 When you hear all of the static on a channel, what happens when you rotate the Squelch dial from stop to stop?

3 Same as in #2, what happens when you depress the "ST" button?

Quick Reply: CB Antenna Interference