Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB Antenna Mounts and Antenna Lengths

Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CB Antenna Mounts and Antenna Lengths

So out of the three options listed below, which CB antenna mount would you go with and why? Which antenna length would you go with assuming a Firestik antenna?

Teraflex Hinge CB Mount

Teraflex Hinge Accessories Mount

Jeep JK CB Antenna Fender Mount 2007+ | Right Channel Radios

I've read that that the fender mount provides better performance. If that route, I would probably look at a 2' antenna with a quick disconnect. My only thought with this option is that it would get hit with limbs and such.

The mounts at the rear of the jeep would provide better protection from limbs and I would probably look at a 3' antenna with a quick disconnect. Would I have any issues with opening the rear glass with it on?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with tailgate due to me hitting a bunches of branches and other crap. But everyone here in the forum will swear by the hood mounts vs anything else.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB antenna

I did the mount on the spare tire and the two foot Firestick to keep the antenna from going higher than the roof. I also did the quick disconnect for easy removal if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna pic 3.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	599594   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna pic 1.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	599595  
Old 03-04-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Find a mount that gets the antenna above the top.Then go with a 3'-4' fire stick
Old 03-04-2015, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by familytime
Find a mount that gets the antenna above the top.Then go with a 3'-4' fire stick
I agree that the extra height will provide better performance, but in most cases your not talking over a mile or two away which is about it for a CB. Just a matter of preference, looks, & personal preference. Also consider how often you park in a garage or parking building.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidster
I agree that the extra height will provide better performance, but in most cases your not talking over a mile or two away which is about it for a CB. Just a matter of preference, looks, & personal preference. Also consider how often you park in a garage or parking building.
Low branches are the death of that antenna configuration. For 99.8% of all wheeling uses a high unobstructed mounting doesn't gain much range advantage that the snag hazard doesn't cancel out.

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 03-08-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I fabricated my own 'hood' mount like the last one. Main difference is I made mine to use two existing bolts for greater stability because just one would flex under larger/heavier antennas. I also made mine to accommodate up to five antennas (because I'm a HAM radio enthusiast). The reason for the location was for the best reception/transmission possible. It works flawlessly and for challenging long distant communications it performs superbly.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tera Flex Spare tire antenna mount with a 3' fire stick. Yet to install it though. Question I have is do I need to run a separate ground or just the coax? I have removed the powder coat from the mounting holes. Those that are using the same set up or close what did you do?

I'm installing this week. Thanks y'all.

Quick Reply: CB Antenna Mounts and Antenna Lengths